This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most users ever online was 3,773, December 30th, 2003

We even have the refugees from rightstuf and if there's 10 people online at the same time it's a good day.

What happened?
    Release Cyborg 009 TV series from 1979 on DVD in U.S.A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anime in the US was perhaps at its most popular around that time so that could be one reason. Toonami was really big in the early 2000's which got tons of people into anime. DVD sales which also very high around this time so AnimeNation probably had its biggest sales during this time.

The forum just faded since then, many moved on.

Comment

People moved on. And what Levo said.
      Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
      In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

If I recall correctly, over 3500+ of the logins at that time were all guests which I always thought was odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Levo View Post
          Anime in the US was perhaps at its most popular around that time so that could be one reason. Toonami was really big in the early 2000's which got tons of people into anime. DVD sales which also very high around this time so AnimeNation probably had its biggest sales during this time.

The forum just faded since then, many moved on.
          Since it got tons of people into anime, some of them are bound to still be into anime, Sure there are always followers of various fads, those people will fade away. But still, since this is one of the last anime forums every person from other anime forums that goes down should in time be here. This is the last bastion!

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
          People moved on. And what Levo said.
          How can you move on from anime? If you like anime you will stay with it, anime is that awesome. So the only place they could have moved to is FB and Twitter. That is a problem, even companies neglect there websites to update there FB page.

Originally posted by Lynx View Post
          If I recall correctly, over 3500+ of the logins at that time were all guests which I always thought was odd.
          That is odd.
          Release Cyborg 009 TV series from 1979 on DVD in U.S.A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg 002 View Post
            How can you move on from anime? If you like anime you will stay with it, anime is that awesome. So the only place they could have moved to is FB and Twitter. That is a problem, even companies neglect there websites to update there FB page.
            There's many who would watch Toonami in the early 2000's that no longer have interest in anime. Anime overall has never really been mainstream but if there ever was a time when anime came the closest to mainstream it was in the early 2000's. From Toonami to other network kids anime(Pokemon, Digimon, etc.). Started to get traction in the late 90's and hit the peak in the early 2000's before declining.

Comment

How can you move on from anime?
              For some people it's simply entertainment and nothing more. For others, the interest is still there, but real life just gets in the way (career, spouse, kids, other hobbies, whatever). There's only so much time in one day.
              Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2018
              My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

The introduction of new forms of mainstream social media in the mid 2000s might also be a contributing factor. Facebook, Reditt, YouTube and Tumblr provide a more diverse pool of users to interact with than a typical forum. Users on forums like this are also more tight-knit, which might detract new members from jumping into the fray.
                "I'm incapable of writing a clever signature." - Malachi
                Figures

Comment

There's currently 95 people online.... 87 of them are guests.
                  Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
                  Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg. 2017 Best AN couple
                  AN's Alpha Female

Join the AN discord: https://discord.gg/eY55AVc

Comment

Originally posted by tigeress02 View Post
                    For some people it's simply entertainment and nothing more. For others, the interest is still there, but real life just gets in the way (career, spouse, kids, other hobbies, whatever). There's only so much time in one day.
                    Pretty much this. The anime boom caused a surge in popularity of anime, but a lot of people have seemingly moved on. I got into anime during that time, but I guess I'm a lifer at this point
                    Favorite Anime: Sakura Trick, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Air, Kanon, Clannad/Clannad After Story, Toradora, Strike Witches, Kill La Kill, Monogatari, Kashimashi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha/Nanoha A's, Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Saki, Spice and Wolf, Aria, Lucky Star, Anohana, ef, Steins;Gate
                    My Anime Collection, My Anime List PSN: SuiDream88

Comment

How can you move on from anime? If you like anime you will stay with it, anime is that awesome.

In before Hayao "Anime was a Mistake" Miyazaki.
                      "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
                      Alex Decay

Comment

Who knows maybe people forgot how to read
                        It was a Summer that seemed as short as a moment in time but as long as all eternity

Comment

Originally posted by Nutmeg View Post
                          There's currently 95 people online.... 87 of them are guests.
                          A lot of those are probably bots of some sort.
                          "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon. Cause that cartoon has got the boom Anime babes that make me think the wrong thing." Barenaked Ladies' One Week

Comment

WOW! I wish I had been a member back then! This place must've been amazing!
                            “I’m Mary Poppins, y’all!"
                            ---Yondu, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
                            Anime watched in 2019: 225 episodes (64 shows: 42 watching, 20 completed, 2 dropped)

Comment

I think that one factor could be the sheer volume of media content that is available in this day and age; anime, or otherwise. There is sooo much; between DVD and Blu-ray, online shopping and brick & mortar, streaming and cable, manga and graphic novels, console and online gaming, cell phones and social media… the list goes on. Who has time for a forum when consuming so much media? Many people don't pick and choose either. They attempt to keep up with all of it. I have no idea how they do it, or how they afford it.

There was recently an interesting article at ANN comparing the current media and anime "bubbles": Answerman - Is The Anime Glut And The American TV Glut The Same Thing?

Quite hopeful for the our beloved anime. I love anime.
                              No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X