Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Survival Here's the Update

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
    Yes, I hope they stick around (haven't seen them for a while though), and I hope more sentient members sign up.

    Also, it's good that a few of the old guard are back posting. But most of them seem to have deserted already after popping their heads in. To be honest, I kind of expected that - generally, if they weren't sticking around before, then they're not going to stick around now.

    Anyways, forging a new path forwards takes effort and was never going to easy, so I'm ready for a long battle .


    I'll probably be like 90 years old and still ******ing posting here
    I love lamp.

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post

      I'll probably be like 90 years old and still ******ing posting here


      Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of new members and some of the older members who came back are already gone (that did not take long, but I kind of figured they would leave anyways).
      "What? Run away to somewhere both the vampires and the Demon Army won’t ever find us? Man, that brings back memories. Back then we were both desperate to run away from our world of vampires and slavery. So we escaped… Hoping and praying to find some paradise where we could live in peace… But all we found was this. We can’t run, Mika. There’s nowhere to run to. No matter where we go, all we’ll find is more humans and vampires.” – Yuichiro Hyakuya

      "I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They’ve used people like us for years, Yuu. Used us in their experiments. I’m sure that Guren person didn’t save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We’re part of the Seraph of the End Project.” – Mikaela Hyakuya

      Avatar - Mika and Yuu from Seraph of the End

      Comment


        #78
        Renewal hit. Posted a thank-you on UTOOB and Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/myanimenation
        :D

        Hmm, didn't think of it at the time, but don't feel bad if you can't or don't want to donate, it's not about that, seriously.

        Comment


          #79
          Generally speaking, I haven't posted much since last week. I caught a cold a few days ago. Hopefully, I will be able to wash my hair and change my bed sheets.

          On Thursday, I have a Dermatology appointment, that I can't afford to reschedule because it takes 3-6 months for me to schedule Dermatology appointments. I've been sneezing and coughing up my lungs like crazy.
          Visit my website It's Not All Gumdrops And Unicorns Cartoon Sunday: Horror Anime Reviews Are There Really Social Media Sites For Anime Fans?

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by Sora N View Post
            Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of new members and some of the older members who came back are already gone (that did not take long, but I kind of figured they would leave anyways).
            I made a mental note of the number of active members before RS hit the nuclear button, and it was about 70. Afterwards, it peaked at around 120, suggesting that around 50 old-timers came back to check out what was going on.

            But now the number of active members have dropped back down to 100, so 20/50 of those old-timers aren't the "Real Deal". It'd be interesting to see whether we'd drop back down to 70 again or stabilize at a higher number.

            Originally posted by AnnaLovesAnime View Post
            It's like the moment there is an announcement, that a website/forum is about to shut down, people suddenly come running back. Then, they leave again. Why?
            I think people generally are low on patience nowadays, partly because they load themselves with all the paraphernalia that are a substantial part of modern life. I'm sure if everyone really tried hard enough they would find time to post on AN, but the problem is that they perceive other things as being more worthy of that time. It's really just a cost-benefit analysis that tries to maximize satisfaction of selfish desires.

            Whereas to build a true community, we need people who spend some time trying to build bridges with other people, with no guarantee of a net "gain". These community builders are the "Real Deal" who form a sturdy backbone.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by AnnaLovesAnime View Post
              Generally speaking, I haven't posted much since last week. I caught a cold a few days ago. Hopefully, I will be able to wash my hair and change my bed sheets.

              On Thursday, I have a Dermatology appointment, that I can't afford to reschedule because it takes 3-6 months for me to schedule Dermatology appointments. I've been sneezing and coughing up my lungs like crazy.
              Hope you feel better soon! I try to post as much as I can; however, sometimes life gets in the way of that!

              Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
              I made a mental note of the number of active members before RS hit the nuclear button, and it was about 70. Afterwards, it peaked at around 120, suggesting that around 50 old-timers came back to check out what was going on.

              But now the number of active members have dropped back down to 100, so 20/50 of those old-timers aren't the "Real Deal". It'd be interesting to see whether we'd drop back down to 70 again or stabilize at a higher number.
              .
              Interesting. I have a feeling it will drop, but I am hoping it will level off at a higher number.

              "What? Run away to somewhere both the vampires and the Demon Army won’t ever find us? Man, that brings back memories. Back then we were both desperate to run away from our world of vampires and slavery. So we escaped… Hoping and praying to find some paradise where we could live in peace… But all we found was this. We can’t run, Mika. There’s nowhere to run to. No matter where we go, all we’ll find is more humans and vampires.” – Yuichiro Hyakuya

              "I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They’ve used people like us for years, Yuu. Used us in their experiments. I’m sure that Guren person didn’t save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We’re part of the Seraph of the End Project.” – Mikaela Hyakuya

              Avatar - Mika and Yuu from Seraph of the End

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                Whereas to build a true community, we need people who spend some time trying to build bridges with other people, with no guarantee of a net "gain". These community builders are the "Real Deal" who form a sturdy backbone.
                I can leave the spambots alive, if you just want to increase our numbers. I know I always enjoy a good discussion about web hosting or architecture.

                Hell, I can code a few if you want.:-)

                Actually, I'm pretty sure I could code some of our more interesting one-note forum members, like Alex Decay. It would just have to be programmed to deny everything you said to it, because racism.
                He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by Leader Desslock View Post
                  Actually, I'm pretty sure I could code some of our more interesting one-note forum members, like Alex Decay. It would just have to be programmed to deny everything you said to it, because racism.
                  The spambots of late have been pretty shoddy. Apart from evading the CAPTCHA system, they don't make any effort to portray themselves as real people. I mean, how hard is it to program a spambot with an introductory post that fits in with the forums, or attempts some kind of relevant conversation? We need Real Deal spambots.

                  I reckon it'd be a good exercise to try and code up the less variable members. Apart from AD, fanboys/girls would be suitable. E.g.

                  Real person: "The music in anime X isn't very good."
                  Spambot: "Actually, the music in anime X is not bad. In fact it's pretty good for an anime from that time."

                  I wonder if it's possible to incorporate machine learning into spambots. The tricky part could be defining an objective function. For games like Go and Chess, there are clear end-goals such as getting a checkmate, but for spambots the goals are rather open-ended. Maybe one criterion could be to get as many replies as possible.





                  Comment


                    #84
                    While you're at it, code the spambots to contribute to Patreon, then we'll all split the proceeds and retire

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Dropped another order at Amazon. Does the commission rate increase as more people use it or is the percentage a flat rate?

                      Has anyone contributed via Rightstuf yet?
                      Bring Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo to DVD

                      Comment


                        #86
                        There still haven't been more new members, since the last time I posted? Generally speaking, I haven't been online as much because I am in the middle of trying to recover from bronchitis.

                        That's besides helping to take care of my family. Everyone acquired some kind of cold or flu last week, while my mother needed to be rushed to the ER for her seizure, last Wednesday. Basically, it was hell last week.

                        What I just mentioned wasn't even the half of it. Anyway, I digress. Hopefully more will continue joining AnimeNation.
                        Visit my website It's Not All Gumdrops And Unicorns Cartoon Sunday: Horror Anime Reviews Are There Really Social Media Sites For Anime Fans?

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by Gene View Post
                          While you're at it, code the spambots to contribute to Patreon, then we'll all split the proceeds and retire
                          Make them mine/sell bitcoin. We could all benefit from this.
                          Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
                          Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg. 2017 Best AN couple
                          AN's Alpha Female

                          Join the AN discord: https://discord.gg/eY55AVc

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by JTurner954 View Post
                            Dropped another order at Amazon. Does the commission rate increase as more people use it or is the percentage a flat rate?

                            Has anyone contributed via Rightstuf yet?
                            Thanks! It varies by product, don't know the details, not really worried about it, it will go in the 'every little bit helps pile (but if you buy a new car, order it through Amazon lol)

                            Originally posted by AnnaLovesAnime View Post
                            There still haven't been more new members, since the last time I posted? Generally speaking, I haven't been online as much because I am in the middle of trying to recover from bronchitis.

                            Also not worried about # of new members, I don't look at the stats. It'll happen or it won't. I expect it'll take time to rebuild. I'm a lot more zen about a lot of things lately I guess...

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by Gene View Post
                              Also not worried about # of new members, I don't look at the stats. It'll happen or it won't. I expect it'll take time to rebuild. I'm a lot more zen about a lot of things lately I guess..guess
                              It still doesn't hurt to generate more new members to have fun chatting with on here. Considering that more people are starting to get tired of being on social media sites, it makes me wonder if forums will ever make a comeback.
                              Visit my website It's Not All Gumdrops And Unicorns Cartoon Sunday: Horror Anime Reviews Are There Really Social Media Sites For Anime Fans?

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by AnnaLovesAnime View Post

                                It still doesn't hurt to generate more new members to have fun chatting with on here. Considering that more people are starting to get tired of being on social media sites, it makes me wonder if forums will ever make a comeback.
                                I agree, just mean I'm not that worried, slow growth is fine and quality over quantity is fine too

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X