Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help keep the AnimeNation forum alive!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help keep the AnimeNation forum alive!

    So the forums is on the chopping block as a casualty of capitalism. Low members means low (or no) ROI. Right Stuf will be dropping them, but has offered me the chance to take them back over if I want. So it's decision time, because there are hosting fees involved. Not a lot, but is there enough interest? Welcome to this thread

    It won't take much,, 20 bucks a month will actually cover the hosting I think (hosting 200-ish paid yearly), so even a couple dollars a month from 10 people would cover it. What are your thoughts on Patreon, Gofundme, etc. for this? We'll talk a few days then I set something up.

    For some history and context, When AnimeNation shut down 4 yeaars ago I gave the forums to Right Stuf to keep them alive. They paid for the move, upgrades and hosting since. These forums have been active for almost 20 years, hate to see them go. I'm paying for the AnimeNation Blog (where John still posts news and stuff) already or I'd absorb the cost myself just to keep it up. Between careers (again) atm though, so trying to keep costs down.

    Memebership/ participation has been down, and I haven't been involved or even here for years, but I'm also open for ideas to pick things up again. For example, if there was enough support I'd cover the blog hosting and John's open to bringing back his weekly news on Youtube. Things like that. Special forum for contributors? Love to hear ideas.

    Post your thoughts and feedback here, and we'll come up with a plan!

    Thanks all.

    EDIT 2/4: There's a Patreon set up now, thanks to those who have or will donate!
    https://www.patreon.com/myanimenation

    EDIT 2/5 Just so there's no confusion, donations are appreciated but definitely not required. It's not becoming a pay forum or paid membership.

    Last edited by Gene; February 5th, 2019, 08:12 PM.

    #2
    i think a patreon is a good idea. I'd happily pay 20 bucks to keep the place going.

    I'd like to help in any way that i can, honestly. i think the problem, as I've stated before, is that both anime and these types of small forums are on the decline in the west, being swallowed as subforum topics on massive multi media forums such as reddit or IGN or whatever.

    is there anything we can do to advertise more? make it so that new members find us in the earlier search suggestions?
    You mellow out my head space.

    Comment


      #3
      There has to be something. I feel like RS did a disservice to the forums by not promoting it more, even after us asking multiple times. To find the forums, you had to search their site pretty well.
      Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
      Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg. 2017 Best AN couple
      AN's Alpha Female

      Join the AN discord: https://discord.gg/eY55AVc

      Comment


        #4
        I agree about the overall landscape, Reddit, etc. Even so, I'd love to see the forums continue, even for a limited membership, and as I mentioned, it wouldn't take much money. Adding limited banner advert is an idea, though I have doubts on revenue from that. Suppose every little bit helps though. By limited I mean 1 banner, I hate adverts and block them everywhere I go.

        Maybe a deal link thread for an Amazon commission links, might help a little. couple bucks here, couple bucks there...

        Comment


          #5
          Ahem...

          Well, firstly, how did the accountants at RightStuf come to the conclusion that these forums aren't covering the measly amount of 20 bucks a month? If these forums result in traffic that results in a few people buying a few extra DVDs per month, then it's covered isn't it?

          Secondly, RightStuf can do a whole lot more to promote these forums, such as putting the link on a more prominent position on the website and getting their staff to actually post on a regular basis. Why is the onus on us to cover their costs and help them to increase their profits? We're not their employees.

          Thirdly, the existing members have already given a lot in terms of their time, which is far more valuable than a measly 20 bucks a month.







          Comment


            #6
            I'm barely around these days (life!) but even I'd consider supporting via patreon. Lot of memories here.
            The REVIVED BLUE THUNDER of the ANIMENATION Forums
            Gattai, Dragon Mission! Gouryuujin!
            Super Moderator 2003 - 2008.
            If you buy bootlegs you're no anime fan.
            Ask Sharp! | Livejournal | AMV's | Give Sharp a Hug | Ryune, Hand of A'dal | Twitter

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gene View Post

              Memebership/ participation has been down, and I haven't been involved or even here for years, but I'm also open for ideas to pick things up again. For example, if there was enough support I'd cover the blog hosting and John's open to bringing back his weekly news on Youtube. Things like that. Special forum for contributors? Love to hear ideas.

              Post your thoughts and feedback here, and we'll come up with a plan!

              Thanks all.
              I'm very interested in a Youtube segment. The only way I get anime news is from Funimation, Viz, and Sentai e-mails. Since I stopped using the "Got Anime" membership, I also stopped getting e-mails from Rightstuf. By subscribing to a Youtube channel, I'll always get notified of new content so I will be on-board for a weekly news channel.

              I don't hear much from AnimeNation nowadays; in fact, the e-mail I received about the possible removal of the forums is why I am posting this. It may sound old fashioned, but how about sending a monthly e-mail newsletter recapping the past month's happenings in anime and forum activity along with some news on what to look forward to next month? I would be more much tempted to post knowing I have instant access to do so (personally I'm not much of a social media person so a forum is easier for me to navigate).

              Special forum for contributors also sounds like a good idea. Maybe Rightstuf can include it as a "Got Anime" perk?

              Bring Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo to DVD

              Comment


                #8
                Right Stuf is dropping the forums, which is why I'm doing all this. I'd like to take it back over, even though the AnimeNation store isn't around anymore and I've been doing other things the last 4 years. I just want to cover the cost. I agree Radiator123's sentiment, but the debate's over there, if I don't resume control it's gone. FYI, we debated the cost even when AnimeNation.com the store was still around and alive. With today';s forum participation, I understand Shawne's thinking.

                Really like the idea of the mailing list. It's adds value to those supporting the forum financially, and is completely doable. I've already talked to John about resuming the Youtube news stuff, that's completely doable too. All of this is a lot easier now, I was on the road the last 4 years, am home all the time now.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gene View Post
                  Right Stuf is dropping the forums, which is why I'm doing all this. I'd like to take it back over, even though the AnimeNation store isn't around anymore and I've been doing other things the last 4 years. I just want to cover the cost. I agree Radiator123's sentiment, but the debate's over there, if I don't resume control it's gone. FYI, we debated the cost even when AnimeNation.com the store was still around and alive. With today';s forum participation, I understand Shawne's thinking.
                  Oh, so the horse has bolted already...

                  *Sigh*

                  Common sense and logic loses again.

                  Honestly though, with the low number of active members knocking about nowadays, why doesn't someone just sign up for a freebie website and the small group of us can continue posting there? We'll probably lose all the old posts though, unless someone can port them over. All those memories will be lost.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I hope these forums are kept alive. It's a great place to share, or learn about a new series or even more. Eveb though social media has grown, this forum deserves to be around so we can still share. Plus up to date on new titles, or even find new treasures.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                      Oh, so the horse has bolted already...

                      *Sigh*

                      Common sense and logic loses again.

                      Honestly though, with the low number of active members knocking about nowadays, why doesn't someone just sign up for a freebie website and the small group of us can continue posting there. We'll probably lose all the old posts though, unless someone can port them over. All those memories will be lost.

                      The cost is low enough that I'd rather keep it around. Seriously, if only a handful of people contribute a buck or two a month, it covers it. As long as it's been here, it feels like a part of internet anime history . More special that some freebie website. Maybe it's just me being sentimental over the old AnimeNation...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Gene View Post
                        The cost is low enough that I'd rather keep it around. Seriously, if only a handful of people contribute a buck or two a month, it covers it. As long as it's been here, it feels like a part of internet anime history . More special that some freebie website. Maybe it's just me being sentimental over the old AnimeNation...
                        I guess you could set up a KickStarter or other online funding request to see if you can meet your 240 bucks a year. And if so, then you can keep these forums alive for a while longer yet.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          A very sad day. However, the writing has been on the wall so-to-speak for a couple of years or so...so I am not surprised to hear that RS is dropping the forums. I would love to see this place still in an existence as it has a lot of fond memories for me and I know it does for others as well. I have never done things like 'Go Fund Me" or the like before though...
                          "Could it be...that you've decided to get it treated? Your mysophobia..."
                          "Are you also being treated in this clinic?"
                          "No, I'm...a counselor at this clinic."

                          Kurose Riku to Shirotani Tadaomi from 10 Count

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                            I guess you could set up a KickStarter or other funding website to see if you can meet your 240 bucks a year. And if so, then you can keep these forums alive for a while longer yet.
                            That's what I'm thinking. Leaning towards Patreon, that way if someone wants to contribute monthly they can, or have different tiers for something we haven't thought of yet. Any extra $ could just be banked for the next year's fees, or used for something forum related if someone comes up with a cool idea down the line.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Gene View Post
                              That's what I'm thinking. Leaning towards Patreon, that way if someone wants to contribute monthly they can, or have different tiers for something we haven't thought of yet. Any extra $ could just be banked for the next year's fees, or used for something forum related if someone comes up with a cool idea down the line.
                              That sounds like a good idea; actually, this could be an opportunity to make AN better and more active than it is now.

                              And to be fair, I'm not incorrigibly opposed to paying like a dollar a month or something if there are really no other backers, seeing as I can do diddlysquat with that kind of money anyway.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X