Nostalgia for AN's Golden Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia for AN's Golden Age

It's been a long time. I don't know how many people are on the forum from when I was active (2005-2006), so most of you probably don't know me (though I popped my head back in the forum in 2010 or so). I don't know why, but nostalgia and curiosity always tug me back to this forum, even though it usually means just lurking and not posting. Though I came to Animenation at first because of anime, what kept this place in the back of my mind was the people who posted and their vibrant personalities.

I look at the forum now, and the new format saddens me a little, far more in tune with social media than the bygone message boards of ye olden day. But seeing how the forum has languished a bit made me want to post again, even so, because I remember having a lot of fun chatting with the people I met through this forum back when I was a teenager. Even though those friendships have faded for the most part by now (as they do -- time makes strangers of us all), I still have fond memories of them.

I guess I'm posting for all the people who were here in AN's heyday and feel nostalgic for the bygone era. We can't reclaim them -- and maybe they aren't meant to be reclaimed -- but there's no harm in remembering, is there? Here's to remembrance.

And I do hope that AN will have a revival in the future. I know it's unlikely in the current social media age, but if other anime forums can do it then this one can make it through too.

Hi, I'm A Dead Spy. You might remember me by such names as Lord Kuroishi and Lord Timaeus.

That said, it's good to see you back.
    "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
    Alex Decay

Comment

I knew I recognized another old name on the forum today. There are a few of us still around. Me, Goddy, Bernard, Haruhi, Levon, DazzleKitty, and others still show our faces.
      "I donít believe any of these things and I donít want to be agreed with about them Ö All Iím asking is that we take a look at this information, and Ö letís see if we canít disagree with this universe, just a little bit." - LRH

Comment

^ I recognized some of the names, but not all. I've checked the forums only sporadically over the years, sad to say.

Originally posted by A Dead Spy View Post
        Hi, I'm A Dead Spy. You might remember me by such names as Lord Kuroishi and Lord Timaeus.

That said, it's good to see you back.
        Of course I remember you! We had a lot of fun back in the chat and RPG threads. I didn't realize you were posting under a new username. Thank you for the kind welcome back.

Comment

Hey Furuba, welcome back! I don't think I was really around back when you were active, but I have heard a lot of good things about you and your name would always come up in "people you miss" threads.

I don't like the current forum layout either, but we're doing our best to keep the place going. I hope you can stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by FURUBA4EVER View Post
            ^ I recognized some of the names, but not all. I've checked the forums only sporadically over the years, sad to say.
            That is how it happened for many of us. I took a couple multi-year breaks before deciding to come back full time. Yours is a name I remember easily even from over 10 years ago.

Originally posted by A Dead Spy View Post
            Wait you are Lord Kuroishi? I never knew that.
            "I donít believe any of these things and I donít want to be agreed with about them Ö All Iím asking is that we take a look at this information, and Ö letís see if we canít disagree with this universe, just a little bit." - LRH

Comment

^ Has got to be the username, haha.

Originally posted by superplough View Post
              Hey Furuba, welcome back! I don't think I was really around back when you were active, but I have heard a lot of good things about you and your name would always come up in "people you miss" threads.

I don't like the current forum layout either, but we're doing our best to keep the place going. I hope you can stick around.
              I think we just missed each other because you joined a few months after the first time I stopped posting back in 2006. Nice to meet you! And it's nice to be remembered.

Yes, I do plan to stick around! But where to start is the question...

Comment

Originally posted by FURUBA4EVER View Post
                Of course I remember you! We had a lot of fun back in the chat and RPG threads. I didn't realize you were posting under a new username. Thank you for the kind welcome back.
                No problem. Shame the RPG forum is pretty much dead now, though; the Destiny High series was so fun to write about.

Originally posted by Sazae View Post
                Wait you are Lord Kuroishi? I never knew that.
                Yeah, long story. Not one I'm proud of, either.
                "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
                Alex Decay

Comment

I still have great memories of writing Destiny High too. If I''m honest, that RPG made me want to be a writer in the first place! (Still working on that dream even now, though...)

At any rate, I didn't even know AN still had a RPG section (aside from the poll and game threads)!

Comment

I've been trying for years to turn the Destiny High RPG into a legitimate story. Obviously, I still have to change the names of most of the characters, as well as create an entirely new world rather than just a Bleach AU, but it should be doable.

In any case, I've been fine-tuning my writing skills through stories about various AN members. Most of those stories are in my blog, but my latest one is found in the Fanfic forum. Just be sure to read the blog first.
                    Alex Decay

Comment

Wow, good luck with that! I could see such a riff off Destiny High becoming a nice urban fantasy series, and I'm sure you're more than capable for the task.

Hmm, I'll have to check those out! I remember that you were probably the most practiced writer among us DH writers, so I look forward to seeing how you've progressed in the years since.

Comment

HOLY GOOD SHIT! FURUBA!?!?!

WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!

How have you been, girl!? You definitely don't remember me, because I had just joined when you left.
                        AN is like the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.....

Comment

Heyo. You might remember me as Treize X from back in the day. Ah, to be young again... I barely started poking my head back in here myself, been gone for some time.
                          Blog|DVDs|Games|Anime|Movies|Comics
                          Current Avatar: Ruby, Vocaloid

"The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam," ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura said.

Comment

I guess I'm a youngster as I've only been here since 2008. In any event, howdy!
                            "You may be wondering about the red suit. Well, that’s so the bad guys can’t see me bleed.”
                            ---Deadpool, Deadpool
                            Avatar: Kei and Yuri, Dirty Pair
                            Anime watched in 2017: 113 episodes (56 shows: 50 watching, 6 completed, 0 dropped)

Comment

I remember your name, but I can't say if we ever posted together.

Welcome back!!
                              Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
                              Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg, nothing can stop us =D
                              AN's Alpha Female

Comment

Working...
                              X