This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum work coming up

Over the next week or so I am going to be doing a lot of little things on the back end of the site to help alleviate some issues. If I kill anything in the process I shall do my best to resurrect whatever I destroy. Now if anybody has any suggestions for things they would like me to look at first such as the smilies acting up, editing being weird, any issues at all please let me know so I can get to them. I have a few things I know of already but I want to hear what everyone else has to say.

I am putting this here in the General section since nobody looks in the Community sub and I actually wants folks feedback on this. It could be that you hate the 10 character limit for posts or think I should jump off a bridge, it's all fine with me so I can address the issues that annoy people on here.

While a lot of this is going on there might be funny little hiccups in the matrix so bring those to my attention as well since it could be something small I just miss. Also the wonderful miss Nutmeg is our newest mod and we all know the Alpha Female is perfect for the role. She will be the one to go to if you need any assistance and can't get me, have some kind of trouble, whatever and she has all of my contact info if I need to be reached.

Thank you all and hopefully this goes smooth with minor growing pains

-Sazae/John
    "Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy."

We never get notified with replies on VM ..you end up not knowing you even got a reply.
    It's neither the Volts that kill you nor the Amps it's your stupidity -My Brother

Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg, nothing can stop us =D

Comment

You are talking about the Visitor Message thing? That whole system is such a mess that it would be better to just blow it out and start new on it. It is one of the things already on the list since it drives me insane that a function which in theory should be easy is one of the more difficult aspects of the forum.
      "Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy."

Comment

I agree the visitor messages are horrible.

The broken smiles :D

I don't want to see birthdays of people who haven't been on the forums on forever. Gibb used to have it set to only show people who have been active in the last 6 months.
        Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
        AN's Alpha Female

Comment

Bigger avatars.

Release Cyborg 009 TV series from 1979 on DVD in U.S.A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Pixel size larger or file size larger?

Comment

^Probably pixel size.

Originally posted by Cyborg 002 View Post
              Bigger avatars.
              How big you talking about because you don't want to take up too much real estate and end up having an avatar that's too distracting.
              Lads, we're getting this ship underway - Cassin Young
              Muh Figures

Comment

Yeah that is one of my worries, they can become distracting and on some forums I am a member of or mod/admin it can be a mess. That is why I will say now before anyone asks I am not going to allow for images in signature. That is a can of worms I flat out refuse to even look at opening.

Comment

Originally posted by SapperSix View Post
                  ^Probably pixel size.

How big you talking about because you don't want to take up too much real estate and end up having an avatar that's too distracting.
                  I am also on a UK forum they have avatars with 172 x 172 size.

I think that's a good size.
                  Release Cyborg 009 TV series from 1979 on DVD in U.S.A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg 002 View Post

I am also on a UK forum they have avatars with 172 x 172 size.

I think that's a good size.
                    Let's compare some sizes, minus the current avatar size of 100 x 100 pixels.

110 x 110

125 x 125

150 x 150

172 x 172

200 x 200
                    Lads, we're getting this ship underway - Cassin Young
                    Muh Figures

Comment

172x172 is way to big, that would require a whole redesign of the forum layout and that much isn't not going to happen. Even going to 110x110 would take some work as you have to make the very fragile themes we have even more fragile since you have to take so many different types of systems into account.So my apologies on that.

Comment

Lord Sazae:

For me, the avatar size is fine as it is - any bigger and it would distract from what people type, which is far more important in terms of communication and building an online community.

Let's see... I think the functionality of the forums are generally fine as it is, but here are some extra issues that could looked at:

1. In the old layout, we could click a menu option called "New Posts" or something, and then a list of new posts would come up, which is convenient. At the moment, clicking "Latest Activity" brings up the first post in threads with new posts, but not the actual new posts themselves.

2. Some kind of rationale for the existence of the orange bars need to be found, or they should go IMO. Maybe it can be reconfigured into a "Poetry bar" that fills up as we write more poems.

3. Sub-forums with little activity could be deleted, with posts transferred to the general anime sub-forum.

4. Regular or semi-regular e-mails to members who have not posted in a while could be a good way of getting them to come back.

And most importantly...

5. I would suggest sending all active members a cash hand-out of U.S.$10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                          Lord Sazae:
                          2. Some kind of rationale for the existence of the orange bars need to be found, or they should go IMO. Maybe it can be reconfigured into a "Poetry bar" that fills up as we write more poems.
                          For the bajillionth time.... you get your HP filled up when people like your posts. That's the rationale! As far as how much like is needed for each bar, I don't know if there is a magic number.

Having your bars fill up for poetry is stupid. ADS and I are more active in the fanfiction subforum and we're not writing poetry.
                          Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
                          AN's Alpha Female

Comment

I made a few minor tweaks to things this morning. Me and Nutmeg did some revamping of the reputation system and more fine tuning of it will be coming. I also decreased the amount of time between posts and lowered the character limit.

I can get the emails to any of the "legacy" members but after running some queries of people that have not been active in say a year numbers in the thousands so no mass email is happening. That is something Nutmeg will really be helping me on as I start to purge out the old members.

As for the sub-forums... that one is coming but it is just such a mess and pain in the *** to go through and prune that I'm not making it an ASAP fix.

​​​​​​​Later on today I will go through the Latest Activity options to see if I can get it to show new posts instead of what it does now since I also really do not like it as it stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutmeg View Post
                              ADS and I are more active in the fanfiction subforum and we're not writing poetry.
                              Shows you what I know...
                              I thought ( .5 I would suggest sending all active members a cash hand-out of U.S.$10,000. ) was just a joke

Comment

Working...
                              X