Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat Games Set in Period Japan

Have any neat ones of your own?

Game title (system) blurb (*= a favorite)
    *Muramasa (and its Vita update Rebirth) (Wii/Vita) Vanillaware's narrative side-view action RPG full of ninja and youkai. Looks and sounds pretty. Some say the action is repetitive, but I didn't get tired of it. Rebirth has extra Genroku Legends stories.
    The Mysterious Murasame Castle (3DS eShop/Famicom) vaguely reminiscent of the first Zelda game but divided into smaller sequential areas without puzzles; just a maze of tricky enemies and many power-ups both hidden and otherwise.
    Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64) 3D action adventure where you explore a loopy, cartoony period Japan with dungeons and giant robot fights. I like the inns and cuisine.
    *Okami (PS2/Wii/PS3) The Legend of Zelda with Japanese fairytales and legends, brush techniques instead of items, and you're a wolf.
    Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Vita) turn-based RPG where you make your own samurai clan. Breed and train its members through the generations to fight youkai in dungeons.
    Toukiden (Age of Demons and its PS4 update Kiwami) (Vita/PS4) Monster Hunter with youkai and legendary figures.
    Last edited by Dreamstryder; September 4th, 2016, 02:43 AM.

Ooh.

The Way Of The Samurai games - really interesting; you're dropped in to the story and wander about collecting swords, interloping and dying multiple times to see what's going on.

The Kengo games - these ones are all about swordsmanship. It really captures how blindlingly easy it is to die by the sword, if your concentration lapses for a second.
    "We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."
    Blog! | 360voice blog! | Gaming network tags | Current Avatar | PSN Profile
    Seiyuu database! <-- not just anime roles, lots more videogame data than ANN

Comment

Onmyoji (Android, iOS, Windows) This comes with good and bad.

The cool part: You play as an onmyouji (basically a Daoist wizard) solving supernatural threats and dramas during the Heian period, featuring the most famous onmyouji, Abe no Seimei. You do so by summoning all manner of mostly-youkai-themed party members as shikigami (familiars). There's even one themed after Ushi no Toki Mairi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushi_no_toki_mairi), and a 100 Demon Parade where you throw beans at the shikigami you want to be able to summon, referencing both Setsubun and the Hyakki Yagyou! The visuals and audio are gorgeous, and there is an art book you can order on Amazon Japan. The story is full of weird monsters and ghosts.

The iffy part: Because it's a free-to-play with microtransactions, outside of story mode it can become a grindfest for the various in-game currencies, randomized equipment, and randomized shikigami, but the in-game currency it gives you daily for free feels generous, and I've decided to grind only when I need to in order to progress through the story (one can lose track of time). The auto-battle function (where you give each party member a general directive and then set them loose) makes it quick and fun to "play" the game while doing something else like reading, but I wonder at a game activity so unengaging one would choose for the game to play itself while the player does something else.

This game may get a future MOBA spin-off.
      Last edited by Dreamstryder; April 26th, 2018, 12:57 AM. Reason: added a clearer description

Comment

Pocky & Rocky 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhiqZU0o_wk)

I did play this a long time ago and remember that it was a lot of fun, but the details are all fuzzy.

Looking up the wiki entry to refresh my memory, the game's apparently a shoot-'em-up. You control a shrine maiden called Pocky (a regular shrine maiden name, obviously) who goes around with a bunch of her buddies (including Rocky the racoon) busting up bad guys. I wonder if Pocky means something in Japanese, seeing as we also have Pocky sticks.

OK, technically, the game's not a faithful representation of past eras in Japan, what with mutant trees and ghosts and all that.

Comment

Nioh is a pretty awesome game. Released on Playstation 4 and later on Steam, Its made by Tecmo/Team Ninja by the creators of Ninja Gaiden. I enjoyed playing it. Its an action/adventure/rpg game set in feudal Japan. Looking forward to Ghosts of Tsushima!! Can't wait!!
          Stars of the Four Gods ~ A Yuu Watase Guild | Slayers Guild | SNK Fan Club v.2
          Super Moderator of ANIMENATION Forums (2008 - Present)
          Lets help support AN by being more active in our community!!
          Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.

Comment

I used to wonder if Pocky was a reference to the candy, but in the original Japanese, her name is Sayo. The original title, "Kikikaikai" sounds like the word for "extremely strange" but the last kanji of the word is switched for another (pronounced the same) that means "world". So I guess the game's title means something like "mysterious/wondrous/strange world". You may also see it translated as "Mysterious Ghost World". It uses will-o-wisp hitodama as a motif in the logo, so the implication is indeed ghosts and monsters. Still stranger, however, is that I haven't yet played the game itself! I mainly know it from an old Nintendo Power and stumbling across a game display in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstryder View Post
              I used to wonder if Pocky was a reference to the candy, but in the original Japanese, her name is Sayo. The original title, "Kikikaikai" sounds like the word for "extremely strange" but the last kanji of the word is switched for another (pronounced the same) that means "world". So I guess the game's title means something like "mysterious/wondrous/strange world". You may also see it translated as "Mysterious Ghost World".
              Yes, my kanji has improved to the point that I can recognize 奇 and 界. It seems like "Mysterious ghost world" is what the title means, although that does not sound very creative! The raccoon dog is called "Manuke" apparently, so I suppose somebody came up with the bastardized Rocky & Pocky names for the American market.

Originally posted by Dreamstryder View Post
              It uses will-o-wisp hitodama as a motif in the logo, so the implication is indeed ghosts and monsters. Still stranger, however, is that I haven't yet played the game itself! I mainly know it from an old Nintendo Power and stumbling across a game display in Japan.
              Ah, Nintendo Power... now that brings back memories! I liked Super Play better though, what with its anime-like cover art and coverage of RPGs. I think I rented Pocky & Rocky 2 from a local games store, many yrs ago.
              Last edited by radiator123; April 28th, 2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X