No announcement yet.

Post the Last Game you completed and your impression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you know how to backtrack pretty well, you can get yourself to a save point in RE7 pretty often if you need to switch games. It's definitely one of the worst games I could think of to play around an impressionable kid though. So much violence and gore.

Last night I finished the last couple of main endings for NieR: Automata (PS4)

The game, like its predecessor, is chock full of stuff that'll make you feel like a terrible person, but I really love how Yoko Taro put the game together. I feel like I can't say much about it without ruining anything, but it's definitely worth playing all the way through. It has some slow parts that seem to drag a bit, but you can rush through some parts to get back to the big story moments.

I think I had about 35 hours on the game clock when I finished it.
    Currently playing: Atelier Sophie (PS4)
    Current Avatar: Asagi from Disgaea Dimension 2

Comment

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): I put something like 50 hours into this game when it came out without finishing it. BotW left me wanting another open world game, so I figured I'd restart XCX.

This game is hard to really give final thoughts on. It's such a bizarre mixed bag. At times it's presentation is stunning both visually and auditorily, and at others it borders on pre-360 levels of fidelity. At times the writing and dialogue is really great, and at times it's reall poor and cringe inducing. There's also all these weird references buried in the game to other Xeno titles that are too frequent and on the nose to just be fan service, but not important enough to actually do anything to the narrative. It's just... weird.

Gameplay wise having played XCX when it first came out really took away from playing FFXV back in December, because it honestly does the whole western-influenced open world with JRPG trappings and tropes schtick better. The combat is fun and dynamic, character progression feels alright, and the world has a lot of ground to cover and stuff to find.

I like the game, but it's really hard to explain why.

Oh, and the ending is ********. There had better be a sequel Monolith.
      Currently Playing: Fast RMX
      Recently Finished: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Comment

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii): It. Just. Kept. Going.

This is another game I played when it launched without finishing. Although not as much as X. I think right around the beginning of Satorl Marsh I felt frustrated with the number of side quests and the stupid amount of dialogue. A problem that I still maintain the game has - innocuous fetch quests shouldn't have a dozen lines of dialogue attached to them, especially being as numerous as they are. But I decided from the get go to just mash buttons and not read side quest text this time around and to only really do the side quests that I accomplished naturally while exploring or moving from story beat to story beat. The game was much more enjoyable and easy to digest as a result.

It's kind of shocking that there's no game between Chronicles and X, because Chronicles plays so much worse. Movement is awkward, somehow being both stiff and floaty at the same time. The combat camera often gets hung up in interior environments, there's awkward delays in activating chain attacks and some abilities during which your targets can move, the AI is god awful at positioning units, soul voice prompts are awkward, exact combat position can be hard to figure out, and on, and on. It's honestly a mess, but in X almost all the issues are addressed.

Thankfully the writing in Chronicles is so, so much better than X's. Actually, it's really good in general. Given the type of plot the game follows, I really expected the typical JRPG convoluted nonsensical mess. I was really surprised that every big twist and reveal was foreshadowed and properly set up; I never found myself thinking anything came out of left field (Other than one minor innocuous thing near the end). Rather every major reveal and twist was met with an "Oh, that's what's going on. Cool."

I really hope Monolith can mesh the gameplay refinements of X and the writing of XC for XC2. If they pull it off it will easily be a genre defining game.

Comment

Outlast: Whistleblower DLC (PC)

Purchased this just the other day. I quite enjoyed Outlast when it was first released. Found it quite scary with all the chasing/nothing to fight with etc.
          Saw this on sale for less than $2 on steam so thought I'd pick it up to finally play it before Outlast 2 comes out.

It's very short (about 2-3 hours maybe), there's not a great deal to the story as such.. well, not without maybe reading documents of which I did absolutely zero of. My main goal was just to play through the DLC in this. It's all very much the same sort of thing that Outlast was. Being chased, hiding, sneaking past enemies etc.
          Some may like this, some may hate it.

I ended up using a brief walkthrough because I found myself worrying about what was coming next and my progress was very slow initially. Having the walkthrough was nicer, gave me a sense of comfort knowing what to expect

Overall, if you enjoyed the base game, maybe pick this up when it's on a good sale. It's not worth full price now given how short it was. No gripes with that personally though, was nice to finish a game
          I long for that of which i dream of...

As one journey ends... another begins.

http://mirkz2005.deviantart.com/

Comment

The other night I completed Shante: Revenge of Risky Boots (PS4).

It was very enjoyable game. it was fun. At first I didn't know about the control scheme so I was confused when the game loads up and your in middle of a battle. After seeing what the controls do and where to go it was a very simplistic but challenging game. I have some more trophies to get but I don't think I am going for them at least for not right now.

Comment

Final Fantasy II (PSP): I've owned FFI&II Dawn of Souls and the 20th Anniversary edition of this for a long while and never got more than probably half an hour into it before. It's not hard to see why it's the black sheep of the franchise.

The story and characters are actually surprisingly good, but the games progression is really obtuse. The number of times I had no idea where I needed to go was really annoying. This happens in the first game too, but as long as you check around the nearest town to the objective/dungeon you just completed in FF1 you can usually find a hint about something else that needs doing, or you can cave and talk to the dancer. FF2 doesn't have an NPC like the dancer, and the NPC's in most towns don't say anything related to what you're doing - you basically have to go back to the starting town after every single objective. This quickly becomes really annoying. It kind of makes sense thematically if you actually accomplished the mission you were sent out on, but at times you don't and instead of following the logical progression you have to head back and find out where to go.

The leveling system is neat (And not broken as hell in the re-releases). You level by doing. Want more health and stamina? Get the crap pounded out of you. Want more magic, MP, and int/spirit? Cast magic. Want higher level magic? Keep casting a spell until it levels up. Unfortunately the execution of this system has some serious problems. A big one being that while you have to satisfy a condition like burning 20% of your MP in a battle to have a chance at leveling it up, there's still a dice roll attached. So it's entirely possible to get really unlucky and ed up with a characters spell levels far out stripping their MP gains. Another issue is that level 1 magic found near the end of the game is just as potent as level 1 magic from the start of the game - so spells you get access to late in the game have to be grinded up to be useful.

I also like that debuff/buff spells are basically required in the game. You're going to have a really rough time later on if you don't level Blink, Protect, and Curse. Usually those spells aren't super helpful in FF games.

Ultimately I liked the game, but a remake that made it less obtuse would be nice.

The 20th Anniversary version also has a neat post-game episode called Dawn of Rebirth that adds a new chapter to the game where you play as characters that died in the main games story. This is cool, but if you didn't know about it (I didn't) and prep those characters prior to their deaths it's absolutely brutally hard. I've been grinding for hours and I'm still getting stomped into the floor by normal enemies. I even got really lucky and got a Sun Sword, Flare Tome, and Curse Tome drop - the sword is great, and Flare is useful because there are enemies that resist physical, elemental, and mind magic, but I need to grind the curse spell to like level X for it to reliably hit any of the crap in the first dungeon. I might keep plucking away at this, I really wish I knew about it while playing the main game so I could have prepared better.

Comment

Originally posted by Siendra View Post
                Final Fantasy II (PSP):

The 20th Anniversary version also has a neat post-game episode called Dawn of Rebirth that adds a new chapter to the game where you play as characters that died in the main games story. This is cool, but if you didn't know about it (I didn't) and prep those characters prior to their deaths it's absolutely brutally hard. I've been grinding for hours and I'm still getting stomped into the floor by normal enemies. I even got really lucky and got a Sun Sword, Flare Tome, and Curse Tome drop - the sword is great, and Flare is useful because there are enemies that resist physical, elemental, and mind magic, but I need to grind the curse spell to like level X for it to reliably hit any of the crap in the first dungeon. I might keep plucking away at this, I really wish I knew about it while playing the main game so I could have prepared better.
                I beat it. It required an absurd amount of grinding, but it was pretty neat. I wish to ending was a little more fleshed out, but it was fine.

Comment

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

After about 125 hours, I finally finished this gargantuan game and honestly, there's just too much to say about it.. Well, more than I'm willing to type out. Needless to say, despite a few missteps, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

If you wanna hear in full detail what I loved and what I didn't, you can listen to my podcast where my cast mate and I discuss in full detail everything this game has to offer and then some.

Spoiler Warning 003 - The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
                  Art: AN's Art Thread Last updated:10/17/15 // DeviantArt
                  Gaming: Backloggery // HLTB // Raptr
                  Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)

Comment

Mega Man X- I love the armor upgrades.

Comment

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch):

I finished the 100-level adventure mode. The story isn't anything to write home about, but it's charming in its quirky Saturday morning cartoon way. It gets kinda' ridiculously hard into chapter 7 (The last main chapter, 8-10 are extra chapters), but it improved my game noticeably.

I mostly bought the game because stuff like Tetris on portable just makes sense. The game honestly could have just been a collection of arcade and challenge/marathon modes and I probably would have been happy with it, but the whole package is actually fairly robust. Some of it falls really flat though.Party mode never should have been approved for example. It's like someone took the worst moments out of games like Mario Party or Smash Bros and decided to make a mode entirely out of that. The power ups are really unbalanced and altogether too random. Likewise, Fusion mode is just a confusing mess most of the time. Swap mode though is actually really very fun, even if I think Puyo Puyo is honestly a pretty weak puzzle game when compared with Tetris (Or Columns, Lumines, etc...).

Good time, well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Sonic Colors DS- Plays like Sonic Rush, only without the trick system and Blaze is not playable.

Comment

Shantae & the Pirates Curse for 3DS
                          The overall story was ok, but the attempts at parody satire fall flat most of the time. Game play was pretty uneven, with some of the later bosses I can beat them in under 30 seconds while other times not being able to score a hit to save my life. Not to mention a number of very long areas you have to replay from the beginning if you're hit even once. One of the biggest pluses being an abundance of fanservice with cute anime style characters.
                          Last edited by Ohiotaku; May 13th, 2017, 03:42 PM.
                          Current avatar: Chizuru Kirishiki from Shiki

"I wouldn't if I were you, I know what she can do.
                          She's deadly man, she could really rip your world apart.
                          Mind over matter. Ooh, the beauty is there but a beast is in the heart."
                          -- Man Eater by Hall & Oates

Comment

Mega Man X5- It's alright. Keiji Inafune intended for this to be the final chapter in the Mega Man X series, but Capcom demanded more installments just for money.

Comment

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (remake on the Switch)

Perfectly faithful to the original game and the new art and music are absolutely amazing. Some of the new levels are very Nintendo Hard but I did eventually get them, it's nice they added something too.

Comment

Mega Man X6- One of worst of the bunch. Keiji Inafune had no involvement in the games production.

Mega Man Zero- The tone of the game is darker than Mega Man X.

Comment

Working...
                                X