No announcement yet.

Post the Last Game you completed and your impression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat the original FEAR on PC over the last two days. It was my first playthrough. I quite enjoyed it, the shotgun is one of the best sounding guns ever. Great atmosphere and some great gunplay. Considering how old the game is, it looked great at 1440p 144hz/fps.
    My Anime List
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

Comment

I finished the Lego Dimensions Batman movie story pack and Sonic expansions over the weekend. The Batman pack was kind of a waste. I don't know if the movie itself is bad, but the story was lame. I did really like the sonic levels and world, though.
      Currently playing: Atelier Sophie (PS4)
      Current Avatar: Asagi from Disgaea Dimension 2

Comment

Originally posted by Gibb View Post
        I finished the Lego Dimensions Batman movie story pack and Sonic expansions over the weekend. The Batman pack was kind of a waste. I don't know if the movie itself is bad, but the story was lame. I did really like the sonic levels and world, though.
        After reading what you wrote about Dimensions recently me and my son went and bought the Portal Starter pack thing and the Lego Batman Movie playset. I agree with you that it wasn't the best but I am also spoiled by the Lego Batman games that came out for various systems (I have all 3 on Wii U) and was hoping it would be to that level in quality. Just for fun though I bought the Gremlins, Dr Who, and Ghostbusters packs. I will say that the figures in the Lego Batman Movie set since they copied the versions from the movie which was excellent.
        "I donít believe any of these things and I donít want to be agreed with about them Ö All Iím asking is that we take a look at this information, and Ö letís see if we canít disagree with this universe, just a little bit." - LRH

Comment

The portal set was awesome as well. I'd like to pick up the midway arcade, back to the future, and Dr who sets at some point.

Comment

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow- Getting my feet wet in Metroidvanias.

Comment

Yakuza 0 (PS4)

I'm a big fan of the Yakuza games, having finished all but the first 2, so I went into Yakuza 0 expecting great things. I was not disappointed.

Last night I finally got to credits, with 100 hours and 27 minutes on my game clock. Afterwards the game said I was about 41% done with it.

The game has a lot of content, including 2 huge meta games of being a real estate mogul and being a hostess club manager. I found the real estate stuff to be boring, so I only completed about 20% of it. The hostess club content was a lot of fun, however, and I 100%'d that part of the game.

Overall the game was quite good, with a compelling story, a decent combat system, and lots of things to do. If I were to complain about anything, it would be the disjointed direction between random fights and story fights. Guns appear in random fights and aren't much of a threat at all, but all hell breaks loose if one appears in a cinematic. I've always been bothered by stuff like that (curse you FFT for not allowing phoenix downs on characters killed in cut scenes).

The game unlocks a free roam mode, and new game+ after beating it, which is cool.

Comment

Just finished Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut for the (PC). Enjoyed it. The last Deus Ex game that I played was the original years ago and that was a great great game. The story was interesting. The gameplay was fun. I also liked Jensen the main character. The boss fights weren't special. I will hold off on Mankind Divided for now since I have other games to play.

Comment

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) last night. Took me about 70 hours! I very much enjoyed the story, and especially the battle system. There's so many ways to build your party by selecting the right arts, it just seemed really fleshed out. I love a game with good mechanics that make you think about the most effective way to take on certain battles. Some bosses in the game really pushed me into using other characters and experimenting with their arts. I learned to love Melia and 7 towards the end of the game. Riki too.

One of the greatest RPGs I've played, easily.
                  My Anime List
                  SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

Comment

I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles X some more, it got pushed aside for something else when I got it, so I only played maybe 3 hours of it. It was a good game tho.

As for me, I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) last night. It took me around 43 hours, but I started rushing towards the end because I wanted to finish the game before my rental period ended.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. The story, the combat, exploration, animations, characters, they were all pretty amazing. I really enjoyed the conversations between Sylens and Aloy towards the middle to last half of the game. His direct nature and apathetic approach counter balanced Aloy's feelings well.

The combat was intense and satisfying, and I loved some of the epic fights against some of the bigger enemies. The first time I fought a Stormbird was crazy. I used up almost every resource and potion I had, and barely survived. Later on I was able to convert them to fight for me, awesome!

I just hope this game gets the credit it deserves for being quite good. A very solid new IP with room to grow. Nice work Guerilla Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibb View Post
                      I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles X some more, it got pushed aside for something else when I got it, so I only played maybe 3 hours of it. It was a good game tho.
                      I'm contemplating picking another copy to play...I sold it cause it left a bad taste in my mouth originally. I went into it expecting a more linear story, but it's more of a exploration game. I think I could dig that now that I've fallen in love with the combat system, which from what I played is more of the same as the first one and more fleshed out. I had a lot of fun exploring the first game though, so I think I could now appreciate X now.

I am glad that the next game will be like the first, more story driven.
                      My Anime List
                      SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

Comment

Last night while playing Style Savvy: Fashion Forward, after a certain task the credits started to roll. I thought that was the end of the game but apparently there is more to do. I was like.....it cannot be over yet! But this game is awesome. Even if you are a dude, you can enjoy this game.
                        Meow Meow
                        The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
                        ~Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - Spoiler Free

So, what is BotW? The premise is relatively simple. Do you remember the original Legend of Zelda where you were plopped into the world and given minimal direction outside the manual on what to do? What about Link Between Worlds where you had almost immediate access to all your items/abilities and there was no proper sequence to the game? BotW is the culmination of the design philosophies of both those games. Youíre plopped into a massive world with minimal direction and an extremely refreshing lack of handholding, you gain all of the abilities/items youíll need to solve puzzles and progress the game almost immediately, and then youíre just told to go. No companion to nag at you, no sequence to follow, and very minimal knowledge of your surroundings or what you really need to do.

And thatís actually kind of it at its most base level. Itís a giant sandbox that you can explore and in there somewhere is a plot you can follow or not, characters you can get to know or not, things you can find or not, quests you can do or not, and so on. The game is, at its most base level, about exploration. Whatís over that hill? Go find out. Can you tie a balloon to that thing and do something neat? Try it. The game more or less never tells you no Ė you can go where you want when you want and get there by whatever of a selection of means you want. Want to run straight to the boss once you get passed the opening sequence? You can do that.

Gameplay
                          Beyond the more free and open approach the most drastic departure BotW makes from other games in the franchise is the inspiration it takes from the survival-crafting genre. You find crafting ingredients in the forms of fruit, bugs, plants, monster parts, ores, animal products, and even trees you can chop down. You prepare food and delve into alchemic pursuits, you upgrade equipment, and so on. And all of this is important because while BotW will let you go anywhere and do anything, it does not do so without resistance.

Combat
                          Enemies in BotW can and do hit [i]hard[i]. Death from mistakes in combat are frequent, but generally fair; If youíre nearly naked, have almost no health, and youíre brandishing a sharpened stick at a twelve foot tall monster with a dragon bone hammer than a single mistake should obviously prove fatal and it does. Enemies in BotW arenít exactly powerhouses of AI interaction, but they arenít dumb either Ė they fight in groups, they equip nearby gear and will try to disarm you of yours, they pull back when things arenít going to their advantage, and they make use of environmental factors like fires or water. Theyíll even grab some of your thrown weapons from the air or dispose of your bombs if the opportunity presents itself.

Combat is fairly dynamic in BotW. Enemies always have random assortments of weapons changing up their range and relative power fairly dramatically. You likewise have access to a wide assortment of armaments including one and two handed swords and clubs, spears, bows, hammers, axes, and magic rods. You also have perfect dodge and block mechanics Ė perfect dodges yielding an opportunity to strike back with a flurry of blows and perfect blocks having differing effects based on the situation. Honestly, itís pretty enjoyable, I wouldnít be surprised to find out people have been taking down random monster camps just because they wanted the fight out of it.

And your environment plays a big factor. You can light most vegetation and wooden weapons on fire. You can use stealth to approach quietly. You can setup traps with explosive barrels, bombs, etc. You can use your key abilities to interact with objects and even enemies in interesting ways. You can manipulate an environment into doing your work for you, like allowing lightning to strike a metal object that you placed near enemies.

There is one issue in the combat however- the weapon/shield durability. Objectively it makes sense that your gear needs to degrade. Thereís very little difficulty/level scaling in BotW so itís entirely possible to sneak into the final boss area immediately and get some pretty powerful gear, which would derail the rest of the game in pretty spectacular fashion if you could use it to steamroll every encounter you came across. And itís not a huge problem as weapons and shield are commonly found and easily replaced, even mid combat. The thing isÖ itís over tuned. When fighting a normal unarmored enemy most weapons will stand up to a couple dozen strikes at best before shattering like glass and necessitating swapping to something else. This makes combat flow a little awkward and results (For me, at least) in a serious case of pack ratting where youíre too worried about shattering an impressive weapon to actually put it to use outside the most dire circumstances. It doesnít wreck the combat or anything, but I think itís a pretty significant design issue.

Dungeons
                          BotW has four dungeons and 120 shrines. These are technically speaking all optional outside the first four shrines which must be completed in the opening segment of the game. There is no order to them, and no key items or abilities are gained from them. The four dungeons are part of the main narrative and the shrines are the means by which you power up your health and stamina.

The shrines are frankly a stroke of genius. Theyíre often one or two room puzzles that can be done in five to ten minutes. They typically focus on a single theme or mechanic that will be communicated right as you enter them, for example one will tell you ďRed giveawayĒ and another will say ďThe water guidesĒ to provide you an initial hint. Having the puzzles sectioned off like this removes any need for them to conform to a normal dungeons theme or mechanics and means that they donít have to be a slave to the pacing or layout of a larger structure Ė a good puzzle can stand on its own.

The dungeons unfortunately donít fare as well. Theyíre an interesting evolution of the design principals in Majoraís Mask where the dungeons are giant 3D spaces you need to understand and manipulate to progress instead of puzzle corridors with the occasional locked door, but theyíre too small, too short, and all four reuse the same basic structure. Theyíre legitimately interesting, but youíll never see them anywhere near a top dungeons listÖ actually all of them might be near the bottom of the franchise to be totally frank.

Exploration
                          This is where BotW really stretches its legs. The game world is absolutely massive with wonderful varied environmental design, lots of stuff to do and hunt down, and a level of care that you simple donít see in many other sandbox games.
                          There is a lot of stuff to find and see and do in BotW, but I think itís important to realize this isnít a Bethesda game. You wonít randomly stumble into a ruin where an elven take on Romeo and Juliet is played out by long dead ghosts as you dodge traps and skeletons. That said, the answer to ďI wonder if thereís anything over thereĒ in BotW is essentially always a resounding yes. It might be a shrine, or mini game, or a world boss monster, or it might be something less substantial like a monster encampment, buried/sunken treasure, or some Korok (There are 400 Koroks in game supposedly, I found half of them), but there is always something to find and thatís what makes it engaging. You never summit a mountain in BotW and find that thereís nothing there or anywhere in the immediate area.

Graphics
                          BotW is a pretty game, but not an especially impressive one. It has some nice foliage density and an impressively executed lighting solution, but itís very clear what the hardware limitations were. There are minor issues with pop in, aliasing, and lacking texture filtering that are noticeable, but donít greatly detract from the experience, but the real problem is the frame rate. To be clear frame rate drops arenít incredibly common in BotW and theyíre usually brief, but when it does drop due to how Nintendo has handled the vertical sync it dives straight to 20FPS which is jarring, ugly, horrendously impacts control, and is frankly completely inexcusable. Outside of a few areas the drops are also completely random and present in both releases, implying that there is something seriously wrong on the software side of BotW.

Still, the use of colour is excellent and the art is up there with Nitnendoís best. Every area of the game has a distinct visual look, environments are nicely realized, gear is well detailed, and the game has a distinct look even compared to other parts of its own franchise.

Audio
                          BotW has some nice music, when it chooses to use it. Often times when youíre out and about the music is significantly downplayed in favor of ambient sound. This isnít necessarily bad, but itís a bit of a shame the phenomenal sound track wasnít better leveraged. There are stellar remixes of existing tracks, like Dragon Roost Island from Wind Wake and some absolutely stellar new stuff like the theme that plays when a dragon is near by.

Thereís a lot of subtle audio cues mixed in the ambient sounds. Do yourself a favor and play with headphones.

Con't on next post
                          Last edited by Siendra; March 14th, 2017, 01:39 AM.
                          Currently Playing: Fast RMX
                          Recently Finished: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Comment

Con't from previous post

Final Thoughts
                            The aforementioned item durability, framerate issues, and dungeons are the only major criticisms I have. There are some more minor problems Ė namely that seemingly nothing can be done in batches (Cooking, upgrading gear, buying some special items, etc...) and youíre forced to go through a cutscene every single time which is slow and annoying, but you donít really deal with it frequently enough to be a huge issue.

Breath of the Wild is a wonderful game, but certainly not a perfect one. Nintendo had considerable ambition for this game, and theyíve largely hit the mark and thankfully really nailed things just about everywhere thatís fundamental to the experience, but itís not the transformative industry redefining experience that I think a lot of people are touting or expecting. Itís certainly not OoT from a mechanical perspective; you wonít be seeing entire genres taking cues from BotW for the next two decades. BotW gets a 9/10 from me all day long, a score that could creep up if the framerate issue can be corrected in a patch.
                            Last edited by Siendra; March 14th, 2017, 01:38 AM.
                            Currently Playing: Fast RMX
                            Recently Finished: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Comment

Resident Evil 7 (PS4)

As I said in another thread, I was really skeptical about how this game would be, but I'm pleasantly surprised overall. It certainly feels different, but at its core is a Resident Evil game. I don't want to say too much as to not spoil the game, but it's definitely worth playing. I'm taking a break to play through NieR, but I want to go back and play through the RE7 DLC in the next few weeks.

Comment

I have really been on the fence about picking up RE7. I love the series but almost all of my game time comes with me son now except for little bits here and there. I am pretty positive that I can't play the game with a 7 year old in the room but is it one that can be played in like 20-30 minute segments every now and then or does it need more time devoted to it.
                                "I donít believe any of these things and I donít want to be agreed with about them Ö All Iím asking is that we take a look at this information, and Ö letís see if we canít disagree with this universe, just a little bit." - LRH

Comment

Working...
                                X