The poetry thread - 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The poetry thread - 2017

2017 is here and among the many important events happening to mark the birth of a brand new year, it is fair to say that none can come close to matching the significance of a new poetry thread on AN/Right Stuf forums. Not just a new poetry thread mind, but THE poetry thread. Need I even say anything more.

Well, actually maybe I do need to say something about the format of the thread. This year, I think folks can write their own poems as per usual, but I acknowledge this can be time-consuming and mentally taxing, so I propose that people can also post poems that they have read and would like to share (e.g. "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost).

In addition, unless there's an objection by the 2 other resident poets here, I will shortly propose 12 monthly themes that I would encourage people to adhere to if they want (but this is not mandatory). Just to give some structure to this thread.

I am ultra-keen for people to comment on other people's poems, to facilitate artistic discourse and community interaction.

Happy new year, poets! Allow me to start this with a favorite poem by Gibran Khalil Gibran

Give me The Flute

Give me the flute, and sing
    immortality lies in a song
    and even after we've perished
    the flute continues to lament
    have you taken refuge in the woods
    away from places like me
    followed streams on their courses
    and climbed up the rocks.
    Did you ever bathe in a perfume
    and dry yourself with a light
    drink the dawn as wine
    rarefied in goblets of ether
    give me the flute then and sing
    the best of prayer is song
    and even when life perishes
    have you spent an evening
    as I have done
    among vines
    where the golden candelabra
    clusters hang down
    did you sleep on the grass at night
    and let space be your blanket
    abstaining from all that will come
    forgetful of all that has passed
    give the flute then and sing
    in singing is Justice for the heart
    and even after every guilt
    has perished
    give the flute and sing
    forget illness and its cure
    people are nothing but lines
    which are scribbled on water.
    They all are but the tunnels of moles,
    threads in the spider's web.
    For he who lives in weakness,
    slowly he will die.
    Forest is the abode of life,
    and were the days
    gathered in my hand,
    there would i strew them,
    but time it is that chooses
    from my soul; whenever I long for
    forest time bars my way woth excuse;
    the fates have ways unaltering,
    and men's aims are
    beyond their impotent reach.

So please ask yourself: What would I do if I weren’t afraid? And then go do it.
    Sheryl Sandberg

Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg, nothing can stop us =D

Comment

^ As I read that poem by Gibran, I sense a contrast between the finite nature of earthly life and notions of eternal existence. Yes, the trees with dew glistening in the brilliant sunshine permit a sense of worldly beauty, yet this somehow pales in comparison with the chilling truth that these same trees must die eventually (from fungal rot or something), leaving us once more in the abyss, grasping for a more permanent conception of beauty. In his poem, Gibran seems to be offering his vision of such a conception with his Flute of Immortality, which aims to justify the ephemeral character of life.

OK, here are the 12 monthly themes that I mentioned above. Just to reiterate that people can follow these or ignore them - we here at the AN/Right Stuf Poets' Guild are rather lax in our rules and barriers to entry are correspondingly low. I hope there's no obvious overlap with themes in previous years.

Jan - As a new era dawns...
      Feb - Marching on with a sense of purpose
      Mar - Once more into the darkness
      Apr - Uncertain feelings, rushed (OK, this came from Wild Arms)
      May - Freedom's joy
      Jun - Traveling to places afar
      Jul - The absurdity of it all!
      Aug - On the routine of life
      Sep - An odd occurrence...
      Oct - Sacrifice
      Nov - Which path to take?
      Dec - Reflections

Comment

I like how you saw it! For me, Gibran is talking about things only him experienced, he's wondering if anyone else had the same feelings as him. Something like childhood memories or even a lost memory he keeps remembering without knowing the day and time he lived it. And as there is an end for everything ..he wanted to keep his feelings in a song by the flute so when people hear it, they will remember him.

I'm sorry about being late in posting and replying ..I have been busy this week, sadly!

While I'm working on my poem, I'll post something that isn't exactly a poem but related to me somehow ...

Tomorrow is never To know

The moon speaks faintly
        in a voice audible to no one.
        The repeating rising and falling of the tides
        are the scene of the moon's vanishing memory.
        The stars record arcanely
        in a script decipherable to no one.
        From the swirls of infinite words,
        billions of books are born.
        To me, the sky is too vast,
        and time is too swift.
        Without knowing anything,
        I'm gathering words in vain,
        which only end up rotting in the earth.
        Yet still, I will clamor.
        Not even knowing why, I raise my voice.
        May my echo continue up into the celestial space.
        Then, a new sun will eventually rise as well.

The despicable darkness answered me,
        saying that no one has ever seen the future.
        I reach my hands into the empty sky,
        and grasp the cold wind.
        Oh, despair, blow through me!
        All dreams and agonies will become the past.
        In the faint twilight above the snoozing earth,
        I walk forward
        towards the tomorrow that's not yet visible.
        Last edited by Taleen; January 17th, 2017, 09:35 PM.
        Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by Taleen View Post
          I like how you saw it! For me, Gibran is talking about things only him experienced, he's wondering if anyone else had the same feelings as him. Something like childhood memories or even a lost memory he keeps remembering without knowing the day and time he lived it. And as there is an end for everything ..he wanted to keep his feelings in a song by the flute so when people hear it, they will remember him.
          Yes, it's like the flute song is used to bridge the particular to the universal... good observations.

I'm sorry about being late in posting and replying ..I have been busy this week, sadly!
          Uhm... there's no time limit here, so definitely no need to apologize. In all likelihood, the number of posts we've made in this thread already exceeds the sum total that would be made by all other members over the next few yrs. I'm also starting to get swamped by offline stuff myself.

While I'm working on my poem, I'll post something that isn't exactly a poem but related to me somehow ...
          Will read this new poem ("Tomorrow is never To know") soon and get back with comments. Is this written by you, Gibran or someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
            Will read this new poem ("Tomorrow is never To know") soon and get back with comments. Is this written by you, Gibran or someone else?
            Nope, it's not a poem ...it's a lyrics of a song.

Here comes my poem

A Letter for Today

Dawn,
            The beginning of a new day
            For it, I have something to say
            Iíd like to leave a message
            For when the day starts
            For when the day ends
            For every moment that counts
            From my not known years of life

Dear every day,
            What should I tell you?
            Iím trying, I really do
            And I have no clue
            If things will go right
            Or left where it is
            Should it go?
            Or should I come?
            Too many questions
            Only time can tell
            Things arenít well
            Are you afraid?
            The day will fade
            Here comes another one
            I pray for your heart to be strong
            Will you pray for mine?
            The sun will shine
            The night will fall
            And here comes another dawn
            To talk to
            Best Wishes,
            Hope
            Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

One Art By Elizabeth Bishop

The art of losing isnít hard to master;

so many things seem filled with the intent

to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster

of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.

The art of losing isnít hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:

places, and names, and where it was you meant

to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my motherís watch. And look! my last, or

next-to-last, of three loved houses went.

The art of losing isnít hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,

some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.

I miss them, but it wasnít a disaster.

óEven losing you (the joking voice, a gesture

I love) I shanít have lied. Itís evident

the art of losingís not too hard to master

though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
              Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

Nope, it's not a poem ...it's a lyrics of a song.
                I see... again, there's this sheer tension between our finite lives and the grand theater upon which they are staged. Yes, is the knowledge that we struggle to attain destined to be in vain? Kind of related to Ecclesiastes 1: "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow". Sobering innit.

Here comes my poem...
                Great stuff! My interpretation is that it's like you're contemplating the uncertainties of everyday life and what the future may hold, and although you are not in control, there is yet some hope that an ordering force is behind the scenes. But because one cannot rationally process everything we experience, we have to - in a sense - trust to faith. Cool, I can dig that.

I particularly like the reference to leaving a message "for every moment that counts". Reminds me of the Korean poet Ko Un (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Un), who tried to write a poem about every person he "met", including those he only came to know indirectly. Just a record of memories and encounters that lift one's spirits and help to carry us over rough terrain.

Comment

For me, the best of words are those you don't find a meaning for em yet you feel you understand what they mean ..

Thank you, I like how you interpreted it there. We wonder a lot, we have no patience, all it takes is time to find out how things are really and hope while trying your best =)
                  Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                    Reminds me of the Korean poet Ko Un (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Un), who tried to write a poem about every person he "met", including those he only came to know indirectly. Just a record of memories and encounters that lift one's spirits and help to carry us over rough terrain.
                    I thought about that but more writing poems about people I saw on streets and felt something about them, some people seem to struggle, some people seem sad, happy ..I love seeing expressions on people faces and wonder how they feel ...It's the joy of being a poet.
                    Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

Thank you, I like how you interpreted it there. We wonder a lot, we have no patience, all it takes is time to find out how things are really and hope while trying your best =)
                      Yep, I regularly think and act on short time-scales of hours, days, weeks or months. Sometimes the wise thing to do is to disengage from all this hustle and bustle, take a step back, and take strategic, patient steps.

I thought about that but more writing poems about people I saw on streets and felt something about them, some people seem to struggle, some people seem sad, happy ..I love seeing expressions on people faces and wonder how they feel ...It's the joy of being a poet.
                      Well, I do have an interest in some people's facial expressions, but not all. For example, I'm not altogether enamored with the facial details of a bunch of chavs vandalizing the local parking lot. But I am rather interested in, for example, the agricultural features of that old homeless dude I walked past regularly around Christmas time.

Comment

I see you don't post poems ...writer's block or too busy?
                        Sheryl Sandberg

Comment

Working...
                        X