Newbie In Need of Cosplay Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie In Need of Cosplay Advice

So for halloween and an upcoming convention I have put together an adorable pikachu costume. Im just having trouble with the tail. I need to make a tail that will defy gravity. Ive been told to make it with cardboard, but im not sure if itll stay up. Also I was thinking of attaching it to a belt to keep it up. Im not sure if I should use an actual belt or an elastic.

12 Gauge fencing wire should be bendable enough to shape properly, but still stiff enough to hold a light tail.

Available at Home Depot.
    ...there is no good reason for smart people to subject themselves to barrages of epithets, delivered by people who have not yet been taught to think critically.

~ Charles C. W. Cooke

Comment

Thanks! So far I cut out cardboard and fabric. I have the wire but I don't know how I should put it on the tail? Also im a little confused on how to attach the tail to a belt for extra support

Comment

I made a Doc Ock costume one year, with that wire running through the four mechanical arms. I drilled four holes in a padded piece of wood, which I then attached to a sort of harness belt. The belt held the padded wood tight to my back (low, at the level of a fanny pack) the mechanical arms extended out from there, and the trench coat covered the whole thing. It looked like I had four mechanical arms growing out of my back, with lighted claws on each end. I won a prize for that one. The best part was that the wire was flexible enough that I could pose the arms however I wanted.

I assume you could mount the tail wire in a similar fashion.
        ...there is no good reason for smart people to subject themselves to barrages of epithets, delivered by people who have not yet been taught to think critically.

~ Charles C. W. Cooke

Comment

I wanna see pics of Dess in his Doc Ock costume....
          Never Underestimate This Madwoman's Eternal Goober-ness
          Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg, nothing can stop us =D
          AN's Alpha Female

Avatar: Suppie (aka ShuuheiCat), Cardcaptor Sakura

Comment

so i attach a straight line of wire to the cardboard tail? Im still a little loss on how to attach it to a belt. it doesnt seem like sewing it will be a good idea since pikachus tail is small at the bottom then gets bigger. Maybe i can attach the wire that i used for support?

Comment

Originally posted by luna belle View Post
              so i attach a straight line of wire to the cardboard tail? Im still a little loss on how to attach it to a belt. it doesnt seem like sewing it will be a good idea since pikachus tail is small at the bottom then gets bigger. Maybe i can attach the wire that i used for support?
              Yes, a real Gordian knot. How about you make the tail out of cardboard and superglue it to your costume at an angle? Gravity will be defeated.

Originally posted by Leader Desslock
              I made a Doc Ock costume one year, with that wire running through the four mechanical arms ... I won a prize for that one.
              Are you sure you're an introvert?

Comment

so i attach a straight line of wire to the cardboard tail?
                I had imagined you'd use it as the internal frame to support the tail. which I had assumed would be made out of cloth. The wire is strong enough to hold that much weight while malleable enough to be shaped like Pikachu's tail.

How you choose to attach it is up to you. Have someone drill a hole in your pelvis if you want. I told you what I did, but that may not work for everyone.

Im still a little loss on how to attach it to a belt.
                I ran the belt through a padded block of wood that would sit low against the small of my back when the belt was tightened. You can drill a hole for the wire in the block. As long as the Pikachu costume covers the block and you bend the wire down to the end of your tailbone before zigzagging it up like a lightning bolt, it should give you the appearance of a tail.

Or, as i say, have someone drill a hole in your pelvis. That works too.

Originally posted by radiator123
                Are you sure you're an introvert?
                As an introvert, when I do something like this, I think it makes more of a splash.

~ Charles C. W. Cooke

Comment

^ Maybe you should dress up as Pikachu next time and make an even bigger splash ...

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                    ^ Maybe you should dress up as Pikachu next time and make an even bigger splash ...
                    You're probably thinking of Magikarp, not Pikachu.
                    "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
                    Alex Decay

Comment

^ Cosplaying Magikarp would work a real treat, especially as an introvert. All you have to do is flap around on the floor for the entire duration of a get-together. That is, unless you're kicked by someone cosplaying as James, in which case you evolve into a Gyarados and proceed to wreck the entire room.

And there's no need to worry about keeping a tail upright!

Comment

Working...
                      X