Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.E.S. View Post

AH I'm jealous!
    I'm waiting on mine from AmiAmi, but there are three things holding that order from shipping out.
    But I'm really glad you ended up liking the series.
    Well, I'm still jealous of your box for the series...

If you ever decide to part with it, let me know!

Comment

• So I actually received this one on Thursday, but didn't even realize it - this is a Beyond the Boundary PE set that I snagged from the last Sentai Sale - for some reason it shipped from Rightstuf in just two days, which for my location is a New World Record - I wasn't expecting it to arrive until Monday or Tuesday of next week, so it actually sat out on my front porch until after 11:00pm last night. I was checking my anime orders online just before going to bed and discovered that it had already been delivered! The Premium Edition set had a counter of only 8 remaining in Sentai's stock when I ordered it late at night in the last hour of the sale; Sentai announced it was officially OOP the next morning.

Comment

• Picked up this Japanese Import used from a fellow member of another anime forum - this is the Japanese Limited Edition release of Serial Experiments Lain Blue-ray Box | Restore. Wow, what a gorgeous release. Silky smooth matte finish on both the box and digipak, embossed lettering all over the front of the box (second photo), Deluxe dual hubs inside the digipak with enclosures to protect the overlapping discs, very nice disc art... Just an all around superb LE release, right up there in quality with my JP LE release of Ergo Proxy Blu-ray Box and the Amazon Exclusive 10-disc digipak for Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Eight Photos - sorry, couldn't help myself - I haven't done a big photo spread in a long while!

More Photos:

Back of Chipboard Box

Group Photo of Internals

Outside Art on Digipak

Discs on Hubs Inside Digipak

Inside Art on Digipak, Discs Removed

Close-up of Disc Art

Comment

• Well, you got the better version in more ways than one.

If I recall, doesn't the Funi version suffer from banding?
          Kinda makes you wonder if Funi got gimped copies or if they just "done goofed up" .
          Nope, not even gonna try...

Comment

• Funi (Sentai too) compresses the hell out of the video in their anime, because they want to be able to shove 8-10 episode on a disc - that's why all their stuff has so much banding and blocking in it. They cut the bit rates down to a half or third of what Japan uses on their discs, so all that banding and blocking is what you get. All in order to save a few cents by being able to use one BD50 and one BD25 disc for a cour of anime, instead of using two or three BD50 like they should. That's why you always see episode splits of 9 and 3 on two discs instead of a 6 and 6 episode spit in US anime releases. Japan and AoA only put 3 or 4 episodes max on a disc, and they use 2-3 times as much video data for each episode.

The one big issue with the Japanese releases of Lain is that they only have the English dub on them, and no English subtitles. And you know how much English dubs disgust me, lol... My solution to that is to simply buy them all - so I now own the JP LE Box, the JP Standard re-release, The UK Collector's Box set, and the US Standard release for Lain. This way I have multiple copies of both sub and dub available at my fingertips, for whatever mood someone happens to be in...

Comment

• ^
              You learn something new every day.
              I knew they did that(the episode cramming thing) as a cost cutting thing, but I didn't know that it did that to the video as a result.
              Also, that is a lotta Lain.
              Nope, not even gonna try...

Comment

• yeah, I feel the US anime industry pretty much has the attitude that their video quality is "eh, good enough" for the masses, who generally watch anime sitting far across the room from a TV screen, and are betting most people aren't going to notice or ever care about it. Heck, a lot of the cattle in the viewing herds of America say they can't tell any difference between an SD DVD and a HD Blu-ray anyway, so the industry figures "why bother, then?" with striving for any top-tier quality in their products. Pretty much a typical American attitude; stepping back and looking at it from the big picture, I believe it all boils down to the severe deterioration of 'Respect' in this country. I appreciate that the Japanese have different attitude and philosophies from Americans, and that carries over and really shows even in the quality of their anime products. So yeah, that's why I have no problem whatsoever with paying Import or AoA prices for that quality, whenever it's available.

Comment

• Japanese releases have always been better, even back when comparing VHS & LD the Japanese releases usually had better video quality. But they much more expensive. Anime in America is very niche business, they make it for cheap & sell for cheap(usually). Anime is a different business in Japan of course but in the end its all about money for both America & Japan.

Here is a comment on reddit about Japanese releases and why anime is so damn expensive:
                  1. Anime is not produced as it is in, say, the US. In Japan, several companies put together a fund to produce any given animated work. Known as a 制作委員会, it's a limited liability consortium usually consisting of a broadcaster, production company, animation studio, ad agency, and some otehr companies (like record companies). Each receives, in return for their investment, a pro rata return + the exploitation rights for one area of business, be it broadcast, home entertainment merchandising, etc.
                  2. Fees for broadcast rights are very low. Partly because the broadcaster itself is a stakeholder and the initial broadcast is usually exempt from any fees, secondly because any subsequent broadcast is likely to be regional, low-budget stations. Overseas broadcast license fees are a joke. All in all, overseas demand for Japanese anime, strictly from a financial standpoint, is minimal at best; which is why you don't see a whole lot of Japanese anime on the Disney Channel in the US, but on fringe, core channels that can't afford to pay big.
                  3. So how do you recoup production costs, which are roughly JPY 10-20million per episode? Merchandising and Home Entertainment.
                  4. The main revenue sourse comes from DVDs/Blu-Rays. This is where the production fees are recouped. To put it bluntly, if DVDs don't sell, the production is in the red. That's why products are beefed up with bonus footage, special booklets, limited editions to get the small core audience to spend as much money as possible. Someone wrote about anti-trust laws, but DVDs are not exempt from anti-trust laws; you can mark them down however you want. Then why aren't they being sold cheaply? Because wholesale prices, as an industry, are much higher than other industries, like 60-80% of the SRP. Any markdown seriously cuts into the profit margin of the retailer. So they stick to prices close to the SRP, keepig the overall price range high.

And in the end, yes, it's because people will buy. The anime market is fairly small, it's supported by a limited number of loyal users. Is it healthy? Probably not. But it works, at least for now, and that's why you won't see cheap DVDs anytime soon."

Lain's blu-ray release is very flawed but I don't think other releases are usually as drastically bad as that and thankfully have improved since then.

Comment

• Got all these on Thursday, but I've been too busy to get photos out right way...

I received Little Witch Academia TV Volume 6 and In this corner of the World LE on Monday from Amazon.co.jp, but both arrived damaged from shipping in a bubble bag. I received the replacements on Thursday, and this time they were individually wrapped in thick layers of paper and shipped snugly in a box, at the direction of Amazon.co.jp Customer Service - so these arrived in pristine condition:

And also arriving on Thursday, I picked up a few more titles from a member on another anime forum to add to my ever-growing Ghost in the Shell collection - the GitS 2.0 JP Box, and the S.S.S. and Innocence DVD Steelbooks. He also threw in the Steamboy DVD LE box set as a bonus:

Comment

• Some of the lovelies I got in the mail the last couple of days.

Gonna watch Free very soon. I REALLY wish the second season of Super Lovers was out now. I don't want to watch it until I have it. It would be torture waiting for it. BL anime are always like that for me. I know it will be one of those ones I enjoy a lot.

Meow Meow
                      The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
                      ~Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

Working...
                      X