Latest Blu-Ray / DVD Purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassination Classroom - Season 2, Part 1 -- Blu-ray
    My Anime Collection: Watched My Anime Collection: Haven't Watched My Anime Web Site Supermutant2099 on deviantART My Twitch Page

Favs: Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Lupin III, Black Lagoon, Dual, Slayers, More.

Comment

Hi, George nice to see new people.
      I've been a fan since the early '80s (though to be fair that was the Americanized versions of SDF Macross, Beast King Go-Lion, and Mach A-Go) (AKA Robotech, Voltron, and Speed Racer).
      I didn't start collecting until the VHS days, and that was mostly Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato).
      Of course when DVD hit, I REALLY got into that and over the years have compiled a decent collection (though I have sold off a few as well).
      Recently got into Blu-Ray, so not much of that.

BTW I used to have a VHS version of the DYRL movie, it was called "Clash of the Bionoids", I remember it being rather odd.

Anyhow today was the last day of the Half Price Books coupon sale. So 50% off the highest priced item (and they let you do it in different stores).
      I grabbed My Neighbor Totoro (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack) for about $10 and the Bandai Legends version (DVD) of Witch Hunter Robin for about $12.50.
      Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeC-1986 View Post
        Hi, first post in this forum... LONGTIME anime fan. Probably at least 10-15 years on average more than most people posting!
        Anyhow, I have bought product from Japan BUT my latest anime Blu ray purchase was the first Japanese-only Blu ray that I've bought.
        I really felt I chose poorly to indulge in the LD era and skipped out on Japanese DVDs because of the main lack of subtitles, the ridiculous (IMHO) pricing, and the Region-Lockout (which turned out to be a non-issue for DVDs in the long run but still a pain-the-butt to get around).

That Region A, Japanese BD buy was the second Blu ray release of Macross: Do You Remember Love.
        It is the same edit of the film that was first released on the Macross: DYRL Perfect Edition laserdisc release many years ago.
        Thank goodness it is ISN'T the censored version that was released in the special edition hybrid pack 5 years ago for PS3! (There was a separate release of the PS3 hybrid disc without the swag but it was still the wretched censored edition).
        The good news and the bad: There ARE extras but they're Japanese-only audio. There are 3 commentaries -- one by the original voice actors for Roy Fokker, Misa Hayase, Max, Miriya, and maybe 2 other VA's I couldn't ID and two other commentaries by producers/segment directors. I didn't catch any names for the last two audio commentaries. I just listened briefly.
        The other extras are the 1984 theatrical and TV spots, and the commercials for this release I'd imagine.
        This Blu ray was released January of 2016. It's normally around $45-$50 but they had a 20% off sale when I bought it. My total was about $45-$46 with regular shipping, partial tracking. I got it with the insurance just in case! You NEVER want to buy out of country without some insurance/tracking!
        The worst news for Western Macross fans: still no subtitles for any official Japanese DYRL release. To my knowledge, the only English-subtitled release of DYRL is still the 1990s release that was done in Europe (Kiseki?) or Australia. If you know the story well enough OR have watched the wretched English dub of this film that was available on Japanese LD and American VHS in the past, you'll be able to follow the film. There are also plenty of write-ups and even subtitle scripts online for the movie.

I love this film -- I've owned it on VHS and LD before -- but this is the first HD version I've owned.
        How to put the presentation? It's a mixed bag. The original film elements (non-Flash 2012 animation) from 1984 are pristine but they probably could have run some filters to reduce the film grain a bit. It does show quite a bit of film grain but the colors are vivid. The worst-quality is probably the end credits Minmei concert that was lifted from the Flashback 2012 music video (which itself was essentially the final storyboarded section of the film that was left unfinished because of budget and time constraints; it was finished for the 1987 Flashback 2012 music video). The Flashback 2012 footage I'd swear was upscaled. I think they lost the film footage for the Flashback 2012 Music Video.
        I've heard that the Flashback 2012 MV was upscaled for the Blu ray release of FB 2012 that is exclusive to the Macross: DYRL PS3 premium hybrid pack.
        The audio is excellent... There are three choices. Two new digital remixes done for past DVD releases (DTS is probably the best way to hear the film) plus I think a linear PCM (mono?) replication of the original theatrical release with all the added audio put in for the "Perfect Edition" of the movie.

Macross: DYRL "Perfect Edition" is basically a director's cut of the film. Additional scenes were put in along with the concert footage finished for Flashback 2012 MV. This really is one of the few films I've experienced where the director's cut is better than the theatrical version.
        This release and any BD release of Macross Plus would probably be the best in the Macross franchise to own on hi-def. I'm wary of the original TV series BD release only because the TV show has such wretched animation in spots and do I REALLY need to see that in 1080p or 2160p? It might actually be better to watch the original TV series (subtitled release) slightly blurry on DVD with the upscale! At any rate, I wouldn't buy anything but the DYRL movie without subtitles at this point...
        And yeah, you're pretty much better off skipping MOST of the Macross franchise after Macross Plus! Gundam's had a better track record with its sequels and reimaginings than Macross has...
        Yeah Macross: DYRL is a great movie & blu-ray release. For anyone with a decent sound setup the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 is stunning for that movie. Audio is a big part of that movie. As for the video quality I disagree a little, I'd prefer film grain to filters that remove grain. I hate DNR, yeah it removes grain but it also removes detail & gives it an edited upscale quality to it.

Original TV series upscale? No its not. Yeah the animation can be flawed but I think the reason for that is the animation was ambitious for the time, its well detailed. Much better than any of the old DVD releases. Although if you don't like grain then stay away.

Comment

It's been a while since I last posted. Besides buying Gundam Blu-ray sets (mostly double dipping), I took advantage of the Right Stuf Birthday Sale and bought a few collections.

The Big O
          Escaflowne Collector's Set
          Galaxy Angle season 1
          Everyday With Monster Girls LE (preorder)

Comment

Once Again, thanks to the Birthday sale, I've purchased the following from Right Stuf:

Ushio & Tora DVD Complete Collection ( the 10 episode OVA from the 90's)
            Myself Yourself
            Princess Nine Complete Series
            Fractale Blu-ray/DVD SAVE Edition ( Wanted to own the title that "saved" anime)
            Ai no Kusabi The Space Between

Also picked up an older eroge from them: Absolute Obedience.
            I had been wanting that title for some time and I thought, eh, why not?

Now I just looked at the calendar, And I noticed that the last day of July falls on a monday.
            So I'm wondering now, will there be two more waves, or just one more with that Monday being the last day for ordering?
            In either case, I eagerly await what lies ahead.
            Nope, not even gonna try...

Comment

Good to see you've sworn off buying figures for a while....

Comment

Originally posted by t-Roy View Post
                Good to see you've sworn off buying figures for a while....
                Oh no, I got figures on order, I just don't have a reliable camera anyomre...
                I've got get one, and place where I can host the images...

Comment

That was just a joke - I know you're still buying figures, lol... J.E.S. not buying any figures?? Could never even imagine it!

Comment

Originally posted by t-Roy View Post
                    That was just a joke - I know you're still buying figures, lol... J.E.S. not buying any figures?? Could never even imagine it!
                    What can I say...
                    I like pretty shiny things...

Comment

Yeah, mee too - I just pre-ordered a couple more JP releases to increase shininess in my collection, lol:

11/1 BLAME! [Amazon.co.jp Limited][First Press Limited Edition] (with Original Mini Tapestry) [Blu-ray]
                      11/29 RWBY VOLUME 4 <No-cut version / First time specification> Blu-ray <Initial specification version> (Amazon.co.jp limited acrylic key holder attaching) (Manufacturer benefit: with postcard)
                      12/8 Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt BANDIT FLOWER 4K ULTRA HD Blu-ray (Blu-ray included 2 sheets set) [With early purchase privilege] (original cartoon design Yasuo Otagaki drawing down mini colored paper)

Love the awkward combination of Amazon/Google translations for the Blu-ray titles on their product pages, lol...

Comment

Well, while I was perusing through Right Stuf's B-Day sale list I noticed these titles and thought; yeah, I need'em.
                        So I just bought the following:

Ruin Explorers
                        Orphen DVD Complete Collection
                        Dragonar Academy
                        Aura
                        Gonna Be the Twin-Tail

Just one more week and the madness ends... well not really... my reckless spending never ends!

Comment

Riding Bean (Kickstarter Exclusive) -- Blu-ray
                          My Anime Collection: Watched My Anime Collection: Haven't Watched My Anime Web Site Supermutant2099 on deviantART My Twitch Page

Favs: Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Lupin III, Black Lagoon, Dual, Slayers, More.

Comment

Well I decided to grab both seasons of Infinate Stratos from work.
                            Under $40 for both.

Really considering Monster Musume as well.
                            Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!

Comment

Well the last wave ( I think) of the B-Day sale is up and...Oh dear Lord Right Stuf is really gunning for my wallet as almost all of Sentai wish list is on sale!
                              I must resist... urge... to through... money at screen...
                              And with that here is the final(?) order I've placed for the birthday sale:

If Her Flag Breaks Premium Edition
                              Student Council's Discretion Season 1
                              Student Council's Discretion Season 2
                              Is the Order a Rabbit
                              Is the Order a Rabbit? Season 2
                              Wordsworth Perfect Collection (see right Stuf I told ya I'd order it )
                              K Return of Kings Blu-ray/DVD
                              For the last one I received a 15% off coupon through a previous B-day order so I thought; Hmm, lemme use on dis.
                              So I did.
                              Now I should be done with this sale, but know my fool self I'll probably break down and place one more order... but hopefully I won't.
                              Wish me luck on that...

Comment

Well, I put in an order for the B-day sale as well. Been saving items of interest in my cart every week as they showed up, but that ended up being way too much. Most of what was in my cart was only around studio sale pricing and I figured I could wait on most of that stuff. Edited it down to about $200.

Black Butler Season 1 (BD/DVD; only part I don't have on BD and with it OOP, figured I'd better get it now)
                                Demon Prince Enma Vol. 1-2
                                El Cazador de la Bruja (SAVE)
                                Fafner (TV+Movie BD SAVE)
                                Guyver (SAVE)
                                Harmony (BD/DVD)
                                Hetalia Season 6
                                HIdamari Sketch x SP BD
                                Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne BD (been meaning to grab this for years)
                                Shakugan no Shana Season 3 (BD/DVD SAVE)
                                Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura PE BD

Also preordered the Yamibo BD from the sale, but I put it in a separate order just in case Media Blasters release date slips again.

Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2018
                                My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

Working...
                                X