Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SO... Is Funimation "Essentials" replacing the pukey-green cover SAVE line?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO... Is Funimation "Essentials" replacing the pukey-green cover SAVE line?!?

I just noticed something on the pre-orders for the rest of the year...
    There are no SAVE titles that I saw listed for Funimation upcoming releases.
    Instead, every re-release is being branded an "Essentials" title. It's the same cover art as the original release BUT with a gray band at the top of the cover art with the "Essentials" label.

This is NOT the first time I've seen an "Essentials" label from a domestic anime licensor. ADV Films also do an "Essential Anime Collection" label. I have a few of those re-releases. What made those stand out was that SOMETIMES ADV Films did "stealth remasters" of old titles as Essential Anime Collection DVDs -- ie, they had remastered video AND remixed 5.1 English audio tracks.

So, I'm guessing Funimation is retiring the pukey-green SAVE line?
    I hope so!
    One of the things I DIDN'T like was that pukey-green color those used for the SAVE re-releases. I didn't mind saving money -- nobody should! -- but I hated how they screwed up the artwork put that lime green vomit color on the reissue artwork. At least the DVD/Blu ray slip art cover was reversible. I've reversed the art on a few of the SAVE title reissues I've bought.

Frankly, I'm amazed Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is showing up so soon again as an Essentials re-release. It just got released late January this year, right?

Yes, "S.A.V.E." releases have been eliminated courtesy of Funimation's new-ish owner Sony. Only titles that were already announced to be getting S.A.V.E. re-releases actually got released under that label post Sony buyout and there have been no new reprints of existing S.A.V.E. release titles since the buyout.

And yes, ADV was very weird with how they handled their "Anime Essentials" re-release collections. As you said, they were a much better value than their earlier releases due to a number of overall quality improvement reasons.

Comment

I am very glad that they got rid of the ugly green S.A.V.E line and just the blu-ray Essentials editions much nice looking on my shelf. I buy the Essentials line when I am not sure if I will like the series.
      "What? Run away to somewhere both the vampires and the Demon Army won’t ever find us? Man, that brings back memories. Back then we were both desperate to run away from our world of vampires and slavery. So we escaped… Hoping and praying to find some paradise where we could live in peace… But all we found was this. We can’t run, Mika. There’s nowhere to run to. No matter where we go, all we’ll find is more humans and vampires.” – Yuichiro Hyakuya

"I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They’ve used people like us for years, Yuu. Used us in their experiments. I’m sure that Guren person didn’t save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We’re part of the Seraph of the End Project.” – Mikaela Hyakuya

Avatar - Mika and Yuu from Seraph of the End

Comment

Working...
      X