What's Going on with these Series?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Going on with these Series?

Basically, there are a lot of series that either companies aren't doing anything with, or that haven't even been licensed at all even though they're of actually popular properties. I compiled a list of a couple of those licenses:
    Part 1
    Part 2

If anyone knows what's happening with them, feel free to tell me. This is especially addressed to Tigeress, who seems to be well informed on these things.
    "Not conspiracies, conspiracy! Singular. Reaching back to ancient Egypt there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success."

New anime website: Sakura Anime News

I thought Crunchyroll/Funimation got Gintama? I know there's a set coming out soon.

Boruto is probably Viz.

I could've sworn I read about a year or so ago that Aniplex wound up with Mushishi?
    Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
    In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Assuming the TC is asking about potential physical releases.

Gitama could be awaiting the live action movie getting a home media release.

Boruto will eventually come out, remember Viz is pretty slow (they are still releasing Bleach).

Nanoha had its chance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Discotek grab it.

If Mushishi gets released by Aniplex, it's gonna be expensive (plus most likely no dub). If it does get a dub it better have Travis involved.

Strike Witches Operation Arrow could be waiting on the Brave Witches thing (I hope).

Blood + might be another Discotek type of show.

Dont really know anything about the others, though the Rock Lee thing might get something around the same time as Boruto.
      Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!

Comment

Concrete Revolutio - You know about as much as I do on this one. Actually, I'm pretty sure that Funimation has never admitted to having physical rights, just the streaming. Actually, I think the only place you can stream it may be on Funimation. I believe it was a Daisuki exclusive at one point and it was also on Hulu, but Daisuki is gone now and Hulu no longer carries it (probably related to Daisuki going away). Need more research, but I don't think there's been any progress on the UK release either, so something is definitely up with that show. What it could be, I have no idea. Everything else Funimation streamed from that particular season has long been released.

Gintama - Technically it's Crunchyroll that has the physical license to the part of Gintama that Funimation is releasing (the dub was done in Canada). Otherwise, you know as much as I do. I certainly agree that Sentai's license of that first bit is probably holding things up. If it's worth the trouble, I imagine CR/Funi will start from the beginning once that's all cleared up.

Nanoha - Don't quote me, but somehow, I feel like Aniplex is somehow involved here. Some of the more recent Nanoha anime have Aniplex (Japan) as part of the production committee, so it seems like they acquired some portion of the franchise. Whether that includes the older anime, I can't say, though that would explain it's absence here. If AoA passes on an Aniplex (Japan) title, then nobody is gonna have it.

Prisma Illya - Crunchyroll is assumed to have the master license to the 3rei, as the show came out during their partnership with Kadokawa. If Sentai wanted to, I suppose they could sub-license it from CR. Otherwise, Funimation is probably the second choice for who will release it.

Phi-Brain Season 3 - I have a feeling something's gone wrong with Sentai's license. When they moved all their streaming stuff from Anime Network to HIDIVE, for whatever reason, this didn't transfer over with Seasons 1 and 2. I think the only way to legally watch Season 3 is on Crunchyroll.

Rock Lee - You can purchase the episodes via iTunes, but otherwise you know as much as I do. Perhaps this will be one part of the franchise that won't get a physical release.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generatons - As you said, they are probably not going to do anything with this till they finish Shippuden.

Strike Witches: Operation Victory Arrow - Personally, I'm not sure if Funimation will bother with anymore of the franchise. OVA are harder to license, plus they did shove both seasons into their S.A.V.E. line. I'm pretty sure the season Brave Witches was part of was within the Crunchyroll / Kadokawa partnership, just like with Prisma Illya 3rei above. Funi dubbed it a couple seasons after it aired as part of their partnership with Crunchyroll.

Blood+ - Assuming SPHE still has the rights, there might be a way for Funimation to get a hold of it. Otherwise, we're dealing with Aniplex and AoA, which means it's not happening.

Mushishi - Another Aniplex "hostage". AoA seems to have passed on releasing this, so no one gets it.
        Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2018
        My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

Thanks tigeress. If you don't mind, I updated my article and wrote you down as a source for the corrections at the end.

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
          I thought Crunchyroll/Funimation got Gintama? I know there's a set coming out soon.

Boruto is probably Viz.

I could've sworn I read about a year or so ago that Aniplex wound up with Mushishi?
          They only have later parts of the series for Gintama and Aniplex never released Mushishi on home video. As for Boruto, VIZ is sure taking its sweet time but otherwise yes, they do have it.
          "Not conspiracies, conspiracy! Singular. Reaching back to ancient Egypt there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success."

New anime website: Sakura Anime News

Comment

Working...
          X