Anime you wish was remastered on blu-ray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anime you wish was remastered on blu-ray

With the Gunsmith Cats kickstarter being announced last month it has got me thinking on other HD remasters I'd love to see. Now I don't mean anime you want on US blu-ray that is released in Japan. I'm talking about anime that have so far completely gotten ignored in Japan as far as being remastered and we're stuck worldwide with just the old DVD's. This is especially important if the DVD's are poor quality where there was never a proper DVD remaster in Japan, let along in HD.

If any of these were recently announced let me know, I'd be so happy

At the top of my list is Fushigi Yuugi, it might not always have the highest quality animation but I still love the art & sound and it might be my favorite shoujo. The DVD's including the re-releases from a few years ago just don't give this show justice.

Now onto one of my favorite shonen, Rurouni Kenshin. The Media Blasters DVDs feel like Lasterdisc to me. This is a Shonen Jump, if it can happen to Yu Yu Hakusho then why not Kenshin?

Devil Lady is an underrated horror anime but DVD compression hates blacks(blockyness hell) and the animation in this show is very dark. It would look more clear remastered in HD. Since its the 50th anniversary of Go Nagai and the recent Devilman Crybaby has been a success maybe it will happen?

Trigun is one I've heard many request to be on blu-ray. The re-release Remix DVDs were an improved over the very old Pioneer DVDs but still not that great. I think I heard Trigun isn't that popular in Japan so maybe thats why it never happened.

The animation for Hunter x Hunter 1999 is strange, its very well animated with well thought out choreographed action but the animation is blurry & dark. I remember years ago trying to watch the fansubs but stopped because I couldn't stand the video quality but when Viz released the DVDs it still didn't look that good.

Now for another 1999 anime there's Now and Then, Here and There but unlike HxH the DVDs are actually not that bad. The animation has this great mix of darkness & dynamic colors that pop off the screen and would look even better on blu-ray.

Oh! My Goddess OVA(1993) and movie(2000). The 2005 TV series was released on blu-ray but it should've been the other way around! I love the TV series but its a digital anime and had to be upscaled so it doesn't look good, probably better off with just the DVDs there. However the older OVA & movie were made on film and would really benefit. The OVA especially needs a remaster since the DVD quality is not very good.

Video Girl Ai badly needs a remaster, the DVDs(even Japan's release) are trash. Its kinda funny that it feels like VHS considering the show is about a video girl from a tape, however that was not their intention and its painful for eyes which is sad because I love this anime.

So what would you guys like?

Romeo x Juliet, Nartuo + Shippuden, Coyote Ragtime Show, Rumbling Hearts, Kiddy-Grade... there are so many.

Originally posted by Levo View Post
    Now onto one of my favorite shonen, Rurouni Kenshin. The Media Blasters DVDs feel like Lasterdisc to me. This is a Shonen Jump, if it can happen to Yu Yu Hakusho then why not Kenshin?
    With what's happened to the author of the manga I doubt this is happening anytime soon.
    "Not conspiracies, conspiracy! Singular. Reaching back to ancient Egypt there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success."

New anime website: Sakura Anime News

Comment

Originally posted by Arch-Defender View Post
      Romeo x Juliet, Nartuo + Shippuden, Coyote Ragtime Show, Rumbling Hearts, Kiddy-Grade... there are so many.
      Rumbling Hearts and Kiddy-Grade were released on blu-ray in Japan, however like just most anime from those times its upscaled so not well received.
      I'm surprised later seasons of Naruto Shippuden aren't on blu-ray even in Japan, at some point I think they went HD(don't know when). I bet Viz will release Naruto on blu-ray at some point like they did with Sailor Moon & Death Note. Its just too popular, even if the result of the upscale won't be good.

Originally posted by Arch-Defender View Post
      With what's happened to the author of the manga I doubt this is happening anytime soon.
      I was thinking that but I don't really believe that would prevent Kenshin anime releases like there would be outrage over it. Its the new Kenshin manga that is suffering since he is actually involved in that.

Comment

Fushigi Yuugi was the first thing that came to mind for me. Part of me wants to think the whole reason that Discotek grabbed the streaming rights was to eventually get home video (once Media Blasters rights expire, if they haven't already) and do their bluray magic on it. Initially I was hoping the Genbu manga would have inspired an anime and Japan would then go back and do blu for FY, but that didn't happen (IIRC, the Genbu manga was finished in 2013). Watase is currently writing the Byakko arc, so maybe there's still some hope for it?

I certainly agree with Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin, especially RK. I'd love to finally dump my Media Blasters RK discs. Heck, I'd go for a new set of DVDs, if BD isn't ever going to be an option. Unfortunately, RK is an Aniplex show and AoA doesn't seem to like releasing back catalog titles, so even new DVDs seem impossible.

As for other things, I'd have to do some research, as I'm fairly confident most of what I'm thinking up has BD in Japan, just not here (Maison Ikkoku, Rose of Versailles and so on). Hmm, maybe the first three seasons of Slayers? Funi released 4 and 5 on BD (upscales) and the movies and OVAs were released on BD in Japan a few years back, but I don't think anything happened with 1-3.

Again, I'd have to research it, but I don't think Monster was released on BD in Japan. I do recall Yawara and Master Keaton getting BD sets, so Monster not having one would be a crime.

Originally posted by Levo View Post
        I'm surprised later seasons of Naruto Shippuden aren't on blu-ray even in Japan, at some point I think they went HD(don't know when). I bet Viz will release Naruto on blu-ray at some point like they did with Sailor Moon & Death Note. Its just too popular, even if the result of the upscale won't be good.
        They're also doing Bleach on BD too, so I'd agree that Naruto BDs have to come at some point.
        Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2018
        My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

Please make it happen Discotek!

The Slayers TV on blu-ray would be great. Even the slightly improved FUNimation DVDs are still bad with dotcrawl, blurry, rainbow artifacts, bad colors & contrast. Some old anime just sadly can't be remastered because of source issues but you never know, I thought it wouldn't happen to Lodoss War OVA since Japanese never did a DVD remaster but to my surprise it was finally remastered. However the same can't be said for the Lodoss War TV series which really disappointed me.

Comment

The Slayers has bluray sets coming out-just not here in the us. A couple of series and ovas that I like are getting bluray releases-Aria and Gunsmith Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by zrdb View Post
              The Slayers has bluray sets coming out-just not here in the us. A couple of series and ovas that I like are getting bluray releases-Aria and Gunsmith Cats.
              The Slayers getting an actual proper remaster in Japan? Because I'm aware of Selecta Vision's Spanish blu-ray of the TV series and its just the same old DVDs upscaled to blu-ray and it looks dreadful.

Comment

Out of everything listed in the opening post, the most likely to be popular re-release would be Rurouni Kenshin because it's had more recent installments, the manga is still ongoing, and there was the live-action film trilogy not long ago.
                The problem, like any of these shows, is that it's old and the fanbase will be limited unless new fans take a chance on it. I do think RK could do well but that depends as much on Aniplex, too, and there's a reason a lot of fans hate that company more than any other company doing anime releases in North American -- their obstinance, their pricing policies, etc. I tend NOT to buy Aniplex unless there's something I absolutely want.
                As it is, I don't own much of RK myself. I have the first season DVD set from MB, the original OVAs from ADV, and the live-action trilogy and that's it. I didn't hear a lot of good things about the more recent OVAs. You pretty much heard the original TV series, first OVAs, and live-action films get talked up the most. A shame the only thing most people can get in-store are the live-action films. As good as they are, they're still another beast apart from the anime and manga. It's just not the same...

Devil Lady? Oh boy...! It's Go Nagai and they've tried to sell his stuff over here and it just doesn't sell well for the most part. As far as the 50th anniversary celebration goes, it's been mixed. I don't know about the Devil franchise, haven't watched it beyond the Devilman Vs Cyborg 009 OVA a few years back. Devil Lady I've mostly heard was garbage.
                Mazinger Z: Infinity and Cutie Honey Universe I have seen. Mazinger Z: Infinity is simply the best that robot has ever looked and is actually a fairly good action-adventure film -- definite buy for me if it comes out in the US next year. I don't think it'll be before next year because the Japanese Blu ray release is this August (despite the fact it's already been released on video in Italy and France where Mazinger Z was very popuar, too).
                Cutie Honey Universe was garbage. Every other Cutie Honey anime that came before it was much better and more importantly a LOT MORE FUN to sit through. Thank goodness I saw Cutie Honey ELSEWHERE before I saw that show or I would have that the character was boring and a vapid waste of space. Seriously, she had the flattest characterization in CHU which is a shame. I think they missed the fun and parody part of CH in the new series. CHU is an appropriate acronym for the new show -- if you can get through the series (I managed to watch all of it but was still disgusted by it), you're gonna spit it out and forget about it in a year!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeC-1986 View Post
                  Out of everything listed in the opening post, the most likely to be popular re-release would be Rurouni Kenshin because it's had more recent installments, the manga is still ongoing, and there was the live-action film trilogy not long ago.
                  The problem, like any of these shows, is that it's old and the fanbase will be limited unless new fans take a chance on it. I do think RK could do well but that depends as much on Aniplex, too, and there's a reason a lot of fans hate that company more than any other company doing anime releases in North American -- their obstinance, their pricing policies, etc. I tend NOT to buy Aniplex unless there's something I absolutely want.
                  As it is, I don't own much of RK myself. I have the first season DVD set from MB, the original OVAs from ADV, and the live-action trilogy and that's it. I didn't hear a lot of good things about the more recent OVAs. You pretty much heard the original TV series, first OVAs, and live-action films get talked up the most. A shame the only thing most people can get in-store are the live-action films. As good as they are, they're still another beast apart from the anime and manga. It's just not the same...
                  Are you counting the 2003 ADV release, Rurouni Kenshin "Reflection" as the more recent OVA or are you aware of something newer? I would like to revisit the old school Rurouni Kenshin TV show if they did a good HD remaster of it. I tried watching it recently on Netflix and the video quality is kind of dumpy. I don't think there'd be enough of a market for HD remasters of the old stuff, but I think a production of the post-Shishio "Revenge" chapters from the manga that were never animated would be successful.

Comment

Macross Plus, it would be absolutely gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeC-1986 View Post
                      Devil Lady? Oh boy...! It's Go Nagai and they've tried to sell his stuff over here and it just doesn't sell well for the most part. As far as the 50th anniversary celebration goes, it's been mixed. I don't know about the Devil franchise, haven't watched it beyond the Devilman Vs Cyborg 009 OVA a few years back. Devil Lady I've mostly heard was garbage.
                      Mazinger Z: Infinity and Cutie Honey Universe I have seen. Mazinger Z: Infinity is simply the best that robot has ever looked and is actually a fairly good action-adventure film -- definite buy for me if it comes out in the US next year. I don't think it'll be before next year because the Japanese Blu ray release is this August (despite the fact it's already been released on video in Italy and France where Mazinger Z was very popuar, too).
                      Cutie Honey Universe was garbage. Every other Cutie Honey anime that came before it was much better and more importantly a LOT MORE FUN to sit through. Thank goodness I saw Cutie Honey ELSEWHERE before I saw that show or I would have that the character was boring and a vapid waste of space. Seriously, she had the flattest characterization in CHU which is a shame. I think they missed the fun and parody part of CH in the new series. CHU is an appropriate acronym for the new show -- if you can get through the series (I managed to watch all of it but was still disgusted by it), you're gonna spit it out and forget about it in a year!
                      Sure Go Nagai is somewhat niche but still has a fanbase in the West. I mean Mazinger Z: Infinity had a limited theater run, two Devil Man was released on Netflix, Cutie Honey Universe was quickly licensed by Sentai and Discotek is releasing the Devil Man OVA remastered soon. Although it doesn't really matter to me, even if a Devil Lady blu-ray was only released in Japan I'd be fine with that. Doesn't have to be released in the West for me.
                      Its not everyones cup of tea as usual with Go Nagai type anime but I don't think Devil Lady is garbage. Its completely different from the manga and honestly one of the few times where the anime version I find better than the manga. One of my favorite parts is how effective the dark animation & creepy music is for a horror anime. Which is why I'd really like it remastered on blu-ray.

I was excited about Cutie Honey Universe but the animation looks weak and everyone say its really bad. Its really a shame that its Go Nagai's 50th anniversary and they don't go all out and instead give us a cheap show.

Originally posted by SwatKat90 View Post
                      Macross Plus, it would be absolutely gorgeous.
                      It was released on blu-ray in Japan, with the dub even. Would be nice to get a US release but the Macross license is a mess so I don't even know if its possible.

Comment

The problem with the Macross license isn't even Harmony Gold, really.
                        They'll probably be out of the picture after 2021 (the expiration date for the rights to the animation footage used in Robotech) unless they pay a massive re-license fee with Tatsunoko for the animation footage that the Japanese company owns.

The Macross issue really is between Tatsunoko and Big West/Studio Nue in Japan. It goes back to how the original Macross TV show was financed and produced. Studio Nue was a bunch of new guys starting with their first series which was done as a "toy show" gag. There was another project they wanted to do that never got made and Macross was a surprise hit. Studio Nue needed additional production assistance and got it through Tatsunoko Productions (Speed Racer, Gatchaman, Casshan, Yatterman, Polymar Hurricane, Tekkaman Knight) which was around 2 decades old by the time Macross went into production. Tatsunoko got on board as a co-producer with the international distribution rights to Macross given to them as collateral. They wanted to make a profit, too, and thought they could make money licensing the show after the success they had selling Gatchaman overseas. Gatchaman, of course, was edited and dubbed into Battle of the Planets.
                        (I doubt Battle of the Planets will EVER be re-released in its complete run in the US because of the existence of the Gatchaman dub. BoTP was released in its entirety in the UK on DVD. Personally, I've seen all three Gatchaman English dubs. ADV's, hands down, is by far the best and most enjoyable of the three as well as being a faithful adaptation of the original Gatchaman. There are great voice actors in the two earlier dub attempts of Gatchaman but the editing and writing for both BoTP and G-Force is just awful. The last major anime series that got BoTP level of re-editing for its original English dub was Sailor Moon.)
                        Apparently, there was never a DEADLINE indicated on the document that gave Tatsunoko the international distribution rights to Macross (the original TV series, NOT the later films, OVAs, and TV sequels) and you can imagine Big West/Studio Nue were upset they never got a dime in royalties when Robotech was a huge hit.
                        Tatsunoko actually likes Robotech due to the fact that the series uses footage from ITS in-house productions (Mospeada, Southern Cross) in addition to SDF Macross.
                        Mospeada was a DIRECT copy of Macross but only a cult success. Southern Cross was a ratings bomb! Tatsunoko finally made profit on those latter two series licensing them to HG which used them in Robotech to meet the minimum 65-episode requirement for TV syndication in mid-1980s America.

Tatsunoko's dispute with HG is over license fees Tatsunoko feels it's owed for the animation footage used in Robotech. If Harmony Gold doesn't pay those fees, Tatsunoko will yank the license to the animation from HG. HG will get to keep the Robotech trademark but can't re-release the animated series. My gut feeling is the show won't stay away for long even if that did happen. It'll be back in some form even if it gets mildly rebranded; it's in Tatsunoko's best interests to "keep it out there." They won't make money off the show IF it stays in the vaults. It frankly should have been remastered for Blu ray over 10 years ago but neither Tatsunoko or HG wants to pay for that on their own. Big West sure isn't going to lend their Macross HD masters to Tatsunoko OR HG to produced a US Blu ray set for Macross OR Robotech.

The whole "Macross thing" has to be resolved in Japan and there is a problem there -- the rights were split between Tatsunoko and Big West/Studio Nue.
                        The Japanese high court ruled in favor of Tatsunoko for INTERNATIONAL distributions rights to Macross. The domestic Japanese distribution rights to SDF Macross (and its sequels) as well as the original SDF character and mecha designs were retained by Studio Nue/Big West. The last half of that second statement is key -- this is why you DON'T see Macross character OR mecha designs in Robotech II or Robotech: Shadow Chronicles. They legally can't use those designs for new animated works unless they pay Studio Nue and you know that's not going to happen! The toy situation is something else, and I honestly don't know how HG gets away with some of what it has in the past but my guess it's about $$$ and legal fees. Someone must feel for the amount of money being made in the US it's not worth it to sue. That could always change in the future but it is what is now.
                        When Animeigo went to get the rights to the 1984 Macross film, they went straight to Big West but were turned down. The Big West people were very bitter over the Robotech situation and possibly the earlier licensing of DYRL to a children's home video label (Celebrity for Kids) in the US. When Animeigo decided to pursue the TV series license, they had to go through Harmony Gold because they WERE the license holders for the series in the US through their co-sponsorship with Tatsunoko.
                        Tatsunoko has credits in Robotech for a reason, guys. One of their top production people was a line producer on Macross and probably Mospeada and Southern Cross so he is credited as a producer on Robotech.
                        Everybody who's honest agrees Studio Nue, Kawamori, Mikimoto,and the others should have gotten their credits in Robotech, too, for originating the concepts for Macross (which IS the spine of Robotech) at least but politics are what they are.
                        The old fight for creators rights and bylines continues. There have been fights for storyline and plot idea credits for many TV shows and movies over the years. Too many to list... It's nothing new. People usually end up getting credits through shaming media companies (that's how Siegel & Shuster go their byline back on Superman in the mid-1970s; WB was ready to start production on the first film with Christopher Reeve when comic book professionals and writers started a campaign to get bylines and pensions for the Superman co-creators) and professionals in the movie industry who are fans of the characters who WANT their creators remembered/acknowledged in the film credits. That's why Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and other comic book character creators have gotten credit acknowledgements in the current Marvel movies. That would NOT have even happened 30 years ago.

Comment

Wow. That's incredibly interesting and incredibly convoluted at the same time!

Comment

You forgot Saban's Eagle Riders when talking about Gatchaman.

Anyhow how exactly is this possible to upgrade this stuff to Blu-Ray in the first place?
                            These were recorded onto some kind of TV tape, and surely by now most of those got lost or tossed out?
                            Especially the older stuff.

Anyhow I guess if possible I would like some of the stuff that needs rescueing done first (like the Mihoshi/Pretty Sammy Special thing & Dual).
                            Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by EricDent View Post
                              Anyhow how exactly is this possible to upgrade this stuff to Blu-Ray in the first place?
                              These were recorded onto some kind of TV tape, and surely by now most of those got lost or tossed out?
                              Especially the older stuff.
                              Older anime were recorded on high resolution film & the master tapes are not your normal home VHS. Most of the time they aren't lost or too damaged but sadly it happens sometimes and could be why some of these older anime have never been released on Blu-ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X