Anime using american soundtracks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime using american soundtracks

hello John I don't know if you was watching the latest series JoJo Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders and to my surprise they use The Bangles 'Walk Like An Egyptian' in the first 24 episodes as their ending theme the question I want to ask how often do anime series use well known soundtracks in their series since everybody is accustom to listening to typical J pop opening and endings from their native land is this the start of a new trend or has this been done before and the Japanese studio were faced with copyright issues?

I've seen a couple of example of this before, but it does seem uncommon. I just want to say that I would assume the studio have secured the proper license before adding any American music. It would be foolish not to.

A noteable thing about JoJo in particular is how many of the character names are based on popular bands and musicians, so to use at least some American music just seems appropriate.
    Last edited by Soluzar; October 24th, 2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

It can also cause problems for when the anime gets released in the States. I'm pretty sure when they used an Oasis song for Eden of the East, they had to ditch it.

Comment

Originally posted by superplough View Post
        It can also cause problems for when the anime gets released in the States. I'm pretty sure when they used an Oasis song for Eden of the East, they had to ditch it.
        The same thing happened with Speed Grapher when it was licensed in the US. Duran Duran's Girls on Film had to be replaced as opening music for the series.

loplop's Anime List : loplop's Figure Collection : loplop's Pixiv Profile : loplop on Twitter

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Duran Duran was the first thing I thought of too.

Comment

Originally posted by superplough View Post
            Hilarious that one of the lamest Oasis songs was chosen for that intro. They're Mancunian rather than American though. What next - The Smiths or The Verve?

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
              Hilarious that one of the lamest Oasis songs was chosen for that intro. They're Mancunian rather than American though. What next - The Smiths or The Verve?
              Well something did came if I am not mistaken the anime series Saint Seiya did use A Flock of Seagulls song 'I Ran (So Far Away)' as their opening song ....and then suddenly they changed it

Comment

I remember Paradise Kiss used a Franz Ferdinand track as its ED, but I couldn't say if it made it to any of the non-Japanese releases.
                Follow my illustration page on Facebook or Twitter - what's the worst that could happen?

Comment

Romeo Juliet anime uses a Japanese version You Raise Me Up for a the OP, although I think its in English in one of the episodes.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GYRk7ZZZY

Gunslinger Girl: Il uses Simon & Garfunkel's version of Scarborough Fair.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MvRKsXlTo (Eng dub version)

Originally posted by bkeane View Post
                  hello John I don't know if you was watching the latest series JoJo Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders and to my surprise they use The Bangles 'Walk Like An Egyptian' in the first 24 episodes as their ending theme the question I want to ask how often do anime series use well known soundtracks in their series since everybody is accustom to listening to typical J pop opening and endings from their native land is this the start of a new trend or has this been done before and the Japanese studio were faced with copyright issues?
                  Season 1 ED is Roundabout by Yes
                  Season 2 ED Last Train Home by Pat Metheny Group

Originally posted by Gaff View Post
                  I remember Paradise Kiss used a Franz Ferdinand track as its ED, but I couldn't say if it made it to any of the non-Japanese releases.
                  I think the R1 has it if I remember right.
                  Last edited by Levo; October 25th, 2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Both Mushishi series used English songs for their openings. One was the Sore Feet song by Ally Kerr. The other was Shiver by Lucy Rose.
                    Avatar - Monkey D Luffy, not impressed with that ****

Comment

There was one episode in Maison Ikkoku that used "Alone Again" and "Get Down" by Gilbert O'Sullivan for Opening and Ending songs.
                      <---- Current Avatar:
                      MyAnimeList profile Youtube Gamer Anime Blog On Tumblr
                      "I'm always in the mood...for Pocky"

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ergo Proxy using Paranoid Android by Radiohead. (I've only watched the anime a dozen times and I'm, still, trying to figure out what's going on.)

Comment

My "Ask John" article on this subject is a few years old now, but it includes some additional discussion & examples not mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X