Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended series for kids

Hi folks,

What would be the best picks for anime geared towards kids (under 12) or for general family viewing?

We already have the Sailor Moon series and Ponyo. I've shown some Squid Girl to my sons, who like the slapstick humour and squid ink vomit, but the wordplay and parodies are a bit beyond them.

Thanks!

Sub or dub? Long series or short? Legit stuff, or yo ho-ho, and a bottle of rum?

Anyway, most things by Miyazaki: Nausicaš, Laputa, Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away, and Cagliostro. Can't suggest more until you answer.
    "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon. Cause that cartoon has got the boom Anime babes that make me think the wrong thing." Barenaked Ladies' One Week

Comment

Angelic Layer
      Cardcaptor Sakura (the English dub is under Cardcaptors)
      Clamp School Detectives
      D.N.Angel
      Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
      Kaleido Star
      Little Snow Fairy Sugar
      Magic Knight Rayearth
      Petite Princess Yucie
      Save Me! Lollipop
      Super GALS
      Man time fly's when you get older and older and older............

Comment

Originally posted by Jatz View Post
        Sub or dub? Long series or short? Legit stuff, or yo ho-ho, and a bottle of rum?
        Dub preferred, the series length is unimportant (they still hooked on Sailor Moon after watching Seasons 1 & 2 plus Sailor Moon S over the past year). Legit stuff, definitely. My boys are 9 and 6, and while they've seen Tokyo get smashed a few times by the Negaverse, it'll be a while before I let them see Princess Mononoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Sora N View Post
          Angelic Layer
          Cardcaptor Sakura (the English dub is under Cardcaptors)
          Clamp School Detectives
          D.N.Angel
          Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
          Kaleido Star
          Little Snow Fairy Sugar
          Magic Knight Rayearth
          Petite Princess Yucie
          Save Me! Lollipop
          Super GALS
          Cool -I'll definitely check these out. Thanks!

Comment

Adventures of the Mini Goddesses

Basically the three female leads of Oh My Goddess in chibi form getting into mischief with a talking rat named Gan-chan. Not an all encompassing storyline, but a series of animated shorts with lots of slap-stick and satire (there are even a few educational episodes thrown in for good measure touching on topics like space exploration & locomotives). If you are familiar with the original series there are plenty of inside jokes (like Beldandy portrayed as a lovable airhead & Keichi is mentioned & heard talking, but never shown on camera) but there are also parodies of other familiar movies/shows like Godzilla or Die Hard.

Overall very cute & charming. The only thing I can think of that might be objectionable is Urd maintains her "fashion sense", but in SD form it's not really bad.
            Current avatar: Hyouka Fuwa from Shimoneta

"When in the springtime of the year, when the trees are crowned with leaves. When the ash and oak, and the birch and yew are dressed in ribbons fair. When owls call the breathless moon in the blue veil of the night. When shadows of the trees appear amidst the lantern's light." -- Loreena McKennitt

Comment

Additional:
              • The Girl Who Leaped Through Time
              • The Wizard of Oz
              • Azumanga Daioh (though the male teacher ogling teenage girls and the comparison of breast sizes might be objectionable)
              • Summer Wars
              • Sherlock Hound

Originally posted by Malaclypse View Post
              Dub preferred, the series length is unimportant (they still hooked on Sailor Moon after watching Seasons 1 & 2 plus Sailor Moon S over the past year). Legit stuff, definitely. My boys are 9 and 6, and while they've seen Tokyo get smashed a few times by the Negaverse, it'll be a while before I let them see Princess Mononoke.
              That's why I said most. The one's I suggested should be fine. The end of Nausicaš can be revolting and the six-year-old might not like it.

Cool -I'll definitely check these out. Thanks!
              I recommend against Card Captor Sakura. Not only is it subbed, but contains themes you might find objectionable for young children.
              Last edited by Jatz; March 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM.
              "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon. Cause that cartoon has got the boom Anime babes that make me think the wrong thing." Barenaked Ladies' One Week

Comment

I recommend against Card Captor Sakura. Not only is it subbed, but contains themes you might find objectionable for young children.
                There was an English dub release (that was edited) under the name Cardcaptors. It's just fine for young children to watch and it was aired on Kids' WB network years ago. You can still find the VHS tapes and DVD's online.

Here is a picture of the English dub VHS cover:

Last edited by Sora N; March 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM.
                Man time fly's when you get older and older and older............

Comment

Hi folks,

What would be the best picks for anime geared towards kids (under 12) or for general family viewing?

We already have the Sailor Moon series and Ponyo. I've shown some Squid Girl to my sons, who like the slapstick humour and squid ink vomit, but the wordplay and parodies are a bit beyond them.

Thanks!
                  My kids love One Piece, it appeals to my 2 boys 10 and 5 and my girls 8, 6 and 4. I also enjoy t so watching it with them.

Sora's list is good, but more appealing to girls. My boys would rather watch paint dry than Card Captor Sakura but they are in the girls have cootie stages.
                  ďSome ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.Ē George Orwell.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Cardcaptors is more than just a dub. It significantly alters the plot as well.

My niece loves Case Closed but it does kind of scare her sometimes too.

Comment

You're Under Arrest and Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko might be family friendly. While I don't remember anything objectionable doesn't mean that there isn't, or I find something that isn't that you do.

Originally posted by Bernard_Monsha View Post
                      Sora's list is good, but more appealing to girls. My boys would rather watch paint dry than Card Captor Sakura but they are in the girls have cootie stages.
                      These are also boys who like Sailor Moon.
                      Last edited by Jatz; March 19th, 2013, 09:17 AM. Reason: Not as family friendly as I thought.

Comment

Most family friendly series:

Card Captor Sakura
                        Ultra Maniac
                        Howl's Moving Castle (ハウルの動く城 Hauru no ugoku shiro)
                        Little Women
                        Little Men
                        Romeo's Blue Skies
                        Heidi, Girl of the Alps (アルプスの少女ハイジ Arupusu no Shōjo Haiji)

Comment

You're Under Arrest and Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko might be family friendly. While I don't remember anything objectionable doesn't mean that there isn't, or I find something that isn't that you do.
                          I'm sure Yamamoto Yohko has a hot spring epsiode with quite a bit of nudity & one of the girls wanting to see an X-rated stage show. Also, one of the Red Snapper sisters has a pretty foul mouth.
                          Current avatar: Hyouka Fuwa from Shimoneta

"When in the springtime of the year, when the trees are crowned with leaves. When the ash and oak, and the birch and yew are dressed in ribbons fair. When owls call the breathless moon in the blue veil of the night. When shadows of the trees appear amidst the lantern's light." -- Loreena McKennitt

Comment

Anyway, most things by Miyazaki: Nausicaš, Laputa, Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away, and Cagliostro. Can't suggest more until you answer.

I personally wouldn't recommend all of Miyazaki's stuff. Some of it is more violent than kids cartoons should be (any cuts/wounds result in the showing of blood). Maybe for kids 11 to 13 at the absolute earliest, but any younger than that shouldn't be exposed to the violence, regardless of the age intended by Miyazaki when he made the animes. I remember in Castle In The Sky, Patzu gets nicked by a bullet on his cheek and it shows a single spurt of blood. In Princess Mononoke, San uses his demon powered arm to fire arrows from his bow so strongly as to decapitate a couple samurai, and yes it shows their head go flying off.

Now silly things like Lucky Star are probably kid friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohiotaku View Post
                              I'm sure Yamamoto Yohko has a hot spring epsiode with quite a bit of nudity & one of the girls wanting to see an X-rated stage show. Also, one of the Red Snapper sisters has a pretty foul mouth.
                              OK then, I withdraw my suggestion.

Originally posted by Animedude5555 View Post
                              I personally wouldn't recommend all of Miyazaki's stuff. Some of it is more violent than kids cartoons should be (any cuts/wounds result in the showing of blood). Maybe for kids 11 to 13 at the absolute earliest, but any younger than that shouldn't be exposed to the violence, regardless of the age intended by Miyazaki when he made the animes. I remember in Castle In The Sky, Patzu gets nicked by a bullet on his cheek and it shows a single spurt of blood. In Princess Mononoke, San uses his demon powered arm to fire arrows from his bow so strongly as to decapitate a couple samurai, and yes it shows their head go flying off.

Now silly things like Lucky Star are probably kid friendly.
                              That's why I said most Miyazaki titles. I don't think a single sprit of blood is all that bad and I'm fairly certain that there's worse than that in Sailor Moon. Aside from that no matter what we recommend, he should look over them before showing them to his kids.

The kids won't get the references in Lucky ☆ Star and might not make much sense to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X