Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Gun Gale Online challenges the tradition of ‘magical girl’ anime through gunplay"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Gun Gale Online challenges the tradition of ‘magical girl’ anime through gunplay"

I recently read this title and was wondering
    Could it be?
    Whats your opinion?

That's completely absurd. Gun Gale Online is a fictional VR game that exists in the Sword Art Online universe. It's a shooter type game with MMO progression. It's not magical girls. It doesn't use any of the magical girls tropes or conventions. It does have a female character and her character's outfit in the game world is different from her attire in real life but that's not a magical girl any more than a woman playing a WoW character with a wild transmog is a magical girl. Sword Art Online season 2 doesn't challenge any magical girl tradition because it has nothing to do with magical girls shows at all beyond having a girl in it.

If you are looking for something that challenges magical girl genre traditions and has a magical girl with a gun in it, you are looking for Madoka Magica.
    Avatar - Nyaralthotep in its cute anime girl form

"A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers.." FA Hayek

Comment

No offense intended toward you or your question, Otaku no Zen, but I agree with Old Hat. The headline, "Gun Gale Online Challenges Magical Girl Traditions" sounds like junk clickbait to me, or potentially an article written by someone who only knows of "magical girl" anime second hand, without having ever watched any. I've literally watched more magical girl anime than I can remember, from 1966's Mahoutsukai Sally to the current Hugtto Precure series. I also watched all of SAO Alternative, and I don't see any parallel or reason to compare the two subjects.

Comment

Do not worry, there is no offense.
        Someone in polygon.com wrote a comparative but since my experience with the genre is almost nil, I wanted to hear the opinions of more experienced and knowledgeable people.
        Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
        X