RightStuf Publishing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RightStuf Publishing?

Has RightStuf ever considered publishing their own manga? Or have they done so already?

Practically speaking, I don't have any contact with the RightStuf crew. Since I only make occasional forum posts & deal with the blog page, they leave me pretty independent. I did talk with Shawne in person maybe fifteen years ago at an Anime Expo. Back then he told me that he never wanted to get into print publishing because of the potential expense of bookstore returns. When DVDs go unsold, stores return them for credit. At least the publisher gets the complete DVD back, which can then be re-distributed or re-sold. Traditionally when paperback books go unsold, the bookstore just tears off and returns the cover for credit, so the publisher loses the cost of the book and gets no product back. Shawne said that he viewed that retail practice as a great way for a company to dip its toes into print publishing and lose lots of investment money. Keep in mind, Shawne told me that back in the early 2000s when AnimeNation was kicking around the idea of licensing Rei Omishi's Risky Safety manga, so circumstances may have changed since then.

Comment

I gotcha, wonder if they have thought about getting into it lately. I'm certain things have changed since then. Would be cool to see them start a print label and start accepting submissions, I feel like this is a really untapped market in the us.

Comment

Working...
      X