Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CalArts style vs Manly type Anime(Manime)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalArts style vs Manly type Anime(Manime)?

hey John I guess you are already aware that there is going to be a new Thundercats series called Thundercats Roar coming out on 2019 however initial reaction to recent trailers on youtube has been very negative to the point that older fans are saying this is another ripoff to Teen Titans Go! and the American artist nowadays are using the infamous 'CalArts' style seen on recent shows like Spongebob,Gumball,Steven Universe,Gravity Falls and Star vs The Forces of Evil some folks don't see a problem with it because these shows still has elements of anime and free flowing style are easy for artists while others yearn the nostalgia of 80's manly type cartoons like G.I Joe,He Man and The Masters of Universe,Silver Hawks,Tiger Sharks, anime's Berserk ,Golgo 13,JoJo Bizarre Adventures,Fist of the North Star I think older fans want to see an animation style similar to the 1985 and 2011 reboot that was unfortunately cancelled,maybe that's why the Avatar franchise from Nickelodeon was over but speculation also this new animation was done because it will appeal to younger kids and this recent generation do not like the so called 'ugly muscle bound cartoon' also most media companies these days are all about merchandising of toys whats your take on this trend John.

Apologies, but I really don't have an opinion on this contrast or conflict. I'm aware of the design aesthetic of shows including Gumball, Steven Universe, and Thundercats Roar, but I've never watched a single episode of any of these shows. I think I watched one episode of Teen Titans Go several years ago. I do agree that the Americanized "SD" design of Thundercats Roar seems totally out of character and inappropriate, but I'm a viewer that grew up in the era of the original 80's series. Furthermore, since I was already in high school when Thundercats aired, I don't have great nostalgia for the show and don't think that it needs a satirical reboot.

Having never watched any of these contemporary "CalArts" style shows - I've never even watched an episode of Spongebob - my impression is that they're designed for contemporary children and young teens who want something soft, cuddly, humorous, and relaxing to watch and enjoy, a sort of American parallel to Japanese iyashikei anime. Back in my youth, we wanted anime that was a bit darker, more aggressive. These days, with the breakout popularity of SD Funko POP figures and the mainstream adoption of comic superheroes, audiences just seem to be more receptive to friendlier, softer around the edges types of comic book entertainment.

Comment

The "CalArts" shows are ugly shows and look cheaply designed to MANY people, period.
      THe other issue they have is general blandness in the humor/writing and "wokeness."
      (BTW, Classic Spongebob aired WELL before the SJW era -- 1998. The first 100 episodes or so of Spongebob are nothing Teen Titans Go or the New Thundercats. Sorry -- apples and oranges. The "CalArts" is only a recent phenomenon and only the Tumblr/SJW crowd think those shows are fantastic.)
      If you hate virtue-signalling, you're going to encounter this all the time with these shows because the creators and producers are playing political agendas which happen to be in vogue now.
      The vast majority of us with an IQ above room temperature HATE this stuff but it generally goes over kids' heads and many parents are tuned out and have no idea what's being written into kids' series and it's very deliberate. They're trying to normalize a lot of things people don't like and they're being none too subtle about it. Regardless of their political affiliation (and most people are moderates and only SLIGHTLY left or right), the majority of people watch entertainment to get away from politics and the news. The last thing they want is to be preached to.

In another year or two, we may get through this SJW/virtue-signalling/ultra-politically correct nonsense but we'll see. Right now, the movies and shows that HAVE dabbled in this have lost a significant number of fans. HUGE amounts of money (in the hundreds of millions of dollars easily with Star Wars alone) is being lost on Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who because of the games corporations and certain individuals are playing with these properties. The long-time fans don't like this and unless you're the type that's desperate and HAS to get your fix no matter HOW bad the current show, you've likely turned the new shows/movies off and aren't spending your money on this stuff anymore OR you're sticking to "Classic Era" and ignore the last few years.
      What they have to learn YET, what they probably won't learn until these people lose enough money is that people with spending money DO NOT like these types of shows!!! These corporations are trying to appeal to an audience that doesn't buy crap or even like these series. They're insane to be driving away the longtime fans but that's exactly what they've done by and large.

What may finally break the back of the ridiculous political nonsense going on for some of these properties is merchandising ironically. It's not big secret unless you've lived under a rock that Disney can't sell any kind of merchandise based on the Star Wars Sequels now. The new characters just don't resonate with many people and very few collectors want to buy toys and other collectibles based on the Disney Wars. Disney is now doubling down on emphasizing the Classic Trilogy and Clone Wars because they're far more popular than anything made in the last 5 years. Ditto with Classic Star Trek... Collectibles/toy companies are still selling Classic Star Trek merchandise like model kits but no merchandising company wants to touch Star Trek: Discovery because it's not popular and just not liked by more than a few of the people that have seen that show. Discovery is so unpopular Netflix didn't want to pick up the series and fund any more episodes because it did NOT play well overseas. Netflix did that, the same company that funds a lot of crappy movies and original series that just aren't very good!

The general crappiness of these new animated shows means they were going to have very limited lifespans if they weren't so cheap to make.
      They don't pay people a lot to make these shows but the thing is they're not getting much corporate support outside of their production companies and Netflix, either. Mattel will NOT produce tie-ins to the new She-Ra because A) it's NOT a faithful remake of the 1980s series which is a cult classic; B) classic fans and people who HATE virtue-signalling despise the new series; C) the people making the new She-Ra have been EXTREMELY arrogant and rude to the people who made the original series, they openly mocked the original series; and D) Mattel sees the writing on the wall. They know the majority of fans who buy Mattel product HATE the new series. They will not support an ugly-looking show that mocks their product and they know darn well enough you don't back a series that is disingenuous and hostile to honest criticism. There's no point in making ugly-looking toys which won't sell and the character designs from new She-Ra are ugly.

The politics and art styles in American animation right now is partly why I've pretty much abandoned it for the last 10 years. Even the superhero stuff has gone downhill since 2011.
      There's Japanese stuff I don't like but by and large they're still not playing the political games and ticking off fans like the American industry does.
      Unless you've been under a rock, you KNOW what's going in the US anime industry courtesy of certain dub actors and one company in particular which shall not be named.
      The kind of political thing that's been going on in comics, videogames, and genre TV (science fiction shows that I mentioned already) for the past 3-4 years has finally come to anime in the States, mainly the dubs.
      There are rumors about actions going on and one lawsuit in particular but I think I'll stop here. I've kind of gone past the "CalArts" but I had to explain it in a bigger context from a perspective that I share with a lot of people.

Comment

what the hell is 'Manly anime?'
        Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
        In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
          what the hell is 'Manly anime?'
          Fist of the North Star
          Avatar - Lotte the Succubus. Vampires need blood to survive. Succubi need another fluid from men.
          "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive." -Thomas Sowell

Comment

ahhhhh
            Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
            In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Working...
            X