Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the very first vocal theme song ever used for an anime opening/ending?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the very first vocal theme song ever used for an anime opening/ending?

Which was the first vocal theme song ever created for or used in an anime? In particular, the first one ever used for an opening or an ending. I heard or read somewhere that the 1963 Tetsuwan Atom anime didn't originally have a vocal theme song until Japanese staff of the series watched the English version, which had a vocal theme song for the opening, that they decided to create one for the Japanese version (styled after the American one) and that song has since been used in all Tetsuwan Atom anime. If that is true, was this the first one or was it another one? Because if this was the first and what I vaguely remember is true, that would technically mean that the vocal opening/ending practice in anime is an American creation that was taken and modified by the Japanese for all anime created after Astro Boy, and then it developed into an industry of its own in Japan that has no equal in Western cartoons outside of cinema, with singles used to promote an anime or an artist.

I posted my response as an Ask John article on the blog page.

Comment

Wow! Thank you very much for the thorough response!

Comment

Apologies that I really didn't address ending themes, but I think the point is still made.

Comment

What was the first vocal ending?
          "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon. Cause that cartoon has got the boom Anime babes that make me think the wrong thing." Barenaked Ladies' One Week

Comment

Perhaps Okami Shonen Ken from the eponymous 1963 TV anime? Although I think it's the same as the opening.

Comment

Working...
            X