Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime and diversity

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...a_beloved.html

This article just made me wonder but, do animes really care that much about diversity and "equal representation" like they do in the American media or is anime just content to use whichever characters they feel like?
    http://cherrysoul.easter.ne.jp/forever.htm

I just signed the "50000 sigs and Shaman King will continue petition", did you? (1st bar name, 2nd address, 3rd personal message) And yes, Shueisha really will continue it if they get that many numbers.

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page, how are you defining the “equal” part of “equal representation?” Do you mean all ethnicities being represented in the exact same proportions in anime character casts? Ethnicities being represented in the same proportions as they exist world-wide in the real world? Ethnicities being represented in the same proportions as they exist in Japan? Ethnicities being represented in the same proportions as they exist in Japan for the specific environments and situations being depicted?

Comment

One thing you have to take into account when talking about diversity in anime or other entertainment is that Japan has a much more homogenous population than when do in the USA. Diversity is something that I would imagine carries a greater importance here in the US. The US is really unique in the world in that you have more different races, religions, orientations, etc. in one country than anywhere else on Earth. Japan doesn't come even remotely close to us in that regard.

I also think that when it comes to anime you don't really see people experiment with diversity or things that aren't known drivers of financial success. *RIP Manglobe* The only anime I can readily think of that has a non-asian, non-anglo lead character of human descent is Black Lagoon with Dutch and Michiko and Hatchin with Michiko. There probably are a few more, but I don't begrudge anime for having less lead roles like that. Anime is first and foremost made by Japanese for Japanese and I don't think they would necessarily share the same views in diversity in entertainment as we do in America. The demographics are just too different.
      *Rightstuf! refugee*

My Anime Collection as listed on FilmAF http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

"Never trust a man wearing a better suit than your own." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 47

Comment

Diversity? In a cartoon where the lead character is born with naturally blue hair, cat ears, pink eyes and torpedo boobies. Psshh real world diversity has no place in fictional universes
        "I'm incapable of writing a clever signature." - Malachi
        Figures

Comment

The Japanese population is around 98.5% ethnic Japanese. Koreans and Chinese make up around 1% Everyone else makes up the remaining 1% or so. It's the most ethnically homogeneous developed country.

Originally posted by GuilewasNK View Post
          Diversity is something that I would imagine carries a greater importance here in the US. The US is really unique in the world in that you have more different races, religions, orientations, etc. in one country than anywhere else on Earth. Japan doesn't come even remotely close to us in that regard
          Diversity is something that a small number of very vocal people love to go on about. People talk about the nebulous benefits of diversity but don't bother to present any evidence to support this idea.
          Last edited by old hat; July 13th, 2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beet28 View Post
            http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...a_beloved.html

This article just made me wonder but, do animes really care that much about diversity and "equal representation" like they do in the American media or is anime just content to use whichever characters they feel like?

I don't think that has the same meaning that it does here in America.

Unless, you're looking for different variations of tiddies and asses.

Comment

Apologies that it took me a while to address this question, but I finally posted my response.

Comment

Working...
              X