Your Most Disliked Anime Characters or Character Types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Most Disliked Anime Characters or Character Types

After receiving some encouragement I decided to make this thread (Didnít know I could do this right off the bat lol) about characters or character types in anime you dislike and canít stand and your reasons why. Iíll start off by giving two examples Presea Testarossa and Louise de La Valliere.

Presea Testarossa - I absolutely can not find anything redeeming about this character and what really pushed her into the dislike category was the first Nanoha movie. At first I just thought of her as just your generic antagonist but the movie in attempting to give her a back story made her worse. The reason I dislike her character especially in the movie is because of her utter abuse and neglect towards Fate treating her as nothing more than a disposable commodity for her original daughter Alicia. All Fate wanted from Presea was her love and affection and was willing to go through hell and back for it. I could understand if Fate had actually done something horrible to Presea but she never did which makes me feel worse for Fate in this scenario because when you have a child youíre supposed to put the needs of the child first and Fate didnít ask to be born into this. What really seals this for me is at the end when Presea remembers that all Alicia wanted was somebody to play with while Presea was off at work so she wouldnít feel so lonely. Presea failed in every respect to be a sympathetic character and Tsuzuki dropped the ball hard. She was better as a one dimensional villain because then I wouldnít have expected as a viewer to feel bad for her which is what Tsuzuki was aiming for. To me giving a character a backstory doesnít excuse their actions in the present (unless the writing is just that good) and Presea is a prime example of that.

Louise de La Valliere - I can handle slapstick in anime, I can stand some tsundere characters in anime if they're done well (Think Asuka Langley from Evangelion) but I absolutely loathe Louise from Zero no Tsukaima. She honestly takes slapstick way too far when it comes to Saito and honestly I canít íunderstand what he saw in her to end up with her. The dere side of her isnít worthwhile to me if one has to be constantly abused and demeaned 90% of the time. Also like I said with Presea, giving a character a backstory doesn'tí make their actions in the present justifiable you have to make me like a character first. I also understand Saito isnít innocent either and I agree he deserved what he got but when you got someone who will beat you bloody for even looking at another girl I just canít excuse that and donít find it funny.

So thatís it! What are some characters or character types you personally dislike?
    Last edited by TsukuyomiMagi99; March 19th, 2019, 03:34 PM.

Precia is the villain and clearly insane. She refuses to recognize Fate as her daughter or even a person and is completely detached from reality. I don't think you are supposed to like her. She is a tragic character but that's different from being likeable or sympathetic. In the end, she chooses to die rather than give up her delusions. That's pretty crazy.

Writing a tsundere character is a delicate balancing act. Too much tsun and not enough dere and the character turns into a plain old bitch. They lay on the tsun part a bit thick with Louise. Beating him with a riding crop is a bit much. She got better over the course of the first season but season 2 threw away all the character development from season 1 in favor of resetting everything to square one. That's when I dropped the series. When they have the character acting out violently over trivial things or things that are her own fault *coughAisakacough*, it's too much. Characters like this have killed shows for me that I would probably have otherwise liked.

My least favorite character type are those characters that we are obviously supposed to be impressed by even though they are bland and have practically no personality. A couple of examples would be Heero Yuy from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing or Kamui Shirou from X 1999. They spend most of their time looking off into space with a blank expression on their faces while the other characters try to convince me that they are interesting or impressive or something. This doesn't work. Heero Yuy remains a bland, nothing character with no personality no matter how much other characters talk about how impressive he is supposed to be.

Avatar - Lotte the Succubus. Vampires need blood to survive. Succubi need another fluid from men.
    "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive." -Thomas Sowell

Comment

I tend to dislike any main character who serves no purpose in the narrative. Like the entire cast of Last Exile, any one of whom could have been either omitted or replaced by pretty much anyone else, and it wouldn't have changed a damned thing. People argue whether Dio was male or female, but neither choice would actually matter. Leave out the Rifleman - wouldn't have mattered.

Mary Sues and Author Mouthpieces (I'm looking at you, Gantz) are generally quite annoying.
      He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

Comment

Originally posted by old hat View Post
        Precia is the villain and clearly insane. She refuses to recognize Fate as her daughter or even a person and is completely detached from reality. I don't think you are supposed to like her. She is a tragic character but that's different from being likeable or sympathetic. In the end, she chooses to die rather than give up her delusions. That's pretty crazy.

Writing a tsundere character is a delicate balancing act. Too much tsun and not enough dere and the character turns into a plain old bitch. They lay on the tsun part a bit thick with Louise. Beating him with a riding crop is a bit much. She got better over the course of the first season but season 2 threw away all the character development from season 1 in favor of resetting everything to square one. That's when I dropped the series. When they have the character acting out violently over trivial things or things that are her own fault *coughAisakacough*, it's too much. Characters like this have killed shows for me that I would probably have otherwise liked.

My least favorite character type are those characters that we are obviously supposed to be impressed by even though they are bland and have practically no personality. A couple of examples would be Heero Yuy from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing or Kamui Shirou from X 1999. They spend most of their time looking off into space with a blank expression on their faces while the other characters try to convince me that they are interesting or impressive or something. This doesn't work. Heero Yuy remains a bland, nothing character with no personality no matter how much other characters talk about how impressive he is supposed to be.

Which wouldíve worked fine if weíre just talking about the anime series but I was referring to her writing in the First Movie where Tsuzuki wrote her an obvious backstory to make her more sympathetic. Otherwise why do a backstory for her in the first place? At first I did feel bad for her not being able to be there for Alicia due to work, not having her superiors listen to her, and then losing her daughter because of it is no doubt very painful. Where I part ways with her though is when Fate enters the equation if Fate had done something horrible to make Presea snap then I could her understand her pain but Fate was an ideal daughter who took her mothers abuse without resistance.

Agree with you about Zero no Tsukaima the show just became unwatchable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader Desslock View Post
          I tend to dislike any main character who serves no purpose in the narrative. Like the entire cast of Last Exile, any one of whom could have been either omitted or replaced by pretty much anyone else, and it wouldn't have changed a damned thing. People argue whether Dio was male or female, but neither choice would actually matter. Leave out the Rifleman - wouldn't have mattered.

Mary Sues and Author Mouthpieces (I'm looking at you, Gantz) are generally quite annoying.
          Guess you wouldnít like Cobra or Duke Togo then lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TsukuyomiMagi99 View Post
            Guess you wouldnít like Cobra or Duke Togo then lol.
            Never heard of either, but... for which reason? Mary sues, author mouthpieces or cardboard cutouts for characters?

My least favorite character type are those characters that we are obviously supposed to be impressed by even though they are bland and have practically no personality.
            So... Carol Danvers from the the new Captain Marvel movie? (I blame this on the writing; they could have done so much more with the character)
            He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

Comment

Nobuyuki Sugou from Sword Art Online- Reprehensible, sociopathic sack of s***.

Team Rocket trio from Pokemon- They utterly infuriate me even to this day, and I stopped watching Pokťmon long ago.

Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed- Textbook Gary Stu.

Shinn Asuka from Gundam Seed Destiny- He deserved that slap upside the head from Athrun.

Seryu Ubiquitous from Akame Ga Kill- Her notion of justice is inarguably half-baked.

Ryohei Yamazaki from Junk Boy- His perversion is off the charts.

Yuno Gasai from Future Diary- She'll kill anyone who lays a finger on her precious Yuki.

Comment

Never heard of either, but... for which reason? Mary sues, author mouthpieces or cardboard cutouts for characters?
                Cobra is basically the Roger Moore or Sean Connery version of James Bond while Duke Togo is a Marty-Stu who never fails his missions always wears a stoic expression and always beds the girl.

Comment

I can't think of a character that serves no purpose at all in the narrative. Even the blandest of bland harem lead drips like Mahiro from Haiyore Nyaruko-san serve the purpose of tying the other characters together.
                  Avatar - Lotte the Succubus. Vampires need blood to survive. Succubi need another fluid from men.
                  "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive." -Thomas Sowell

Comment

I can't think of a character that serves no purpose at all in the narrative. Even the blandest of bland harem lead drips like Mahiro from Haiyore Nyaruko-san serve the purpose of tying the other characters together.
                    As one example: the Rifleman, from Last Exile. I don't remember his name. He was nothing more than a camera perspective. Had he been deleted, and had nothing taken his place, there would not have been a hole for the viewers to notice. No questions were answered by his existence, nothing about the world was revealed from his perspective.

As much as I rip on the Gundaball, and as much as I absolutely detest KamEEEEL Bidet, I can at least acknowledge that he serves a narrative function. The fact that I hate him as a character tells me that at least there is a character there to hate. With the Rifleman, there wasn't even that. All I had with the Rifleman was "Why are we switching to this guy?" or "He's found a love interest? Why are you showing me this and why should I care?"

Comment

As one example: the Rifleman, from Last Exile. I don't remember his name. He was nothing more than a camera perspective. Had he been deleted, and had nothing taken his place, there would not have been a hole for the viewers to notice. No questions were answered by his existence, nothing about the world was revealed from his perspective.
                      Was he a main character? I wouldn't have guessed from the promotional art for the show. He's barely there at all.

Comment

As far as individual characters go, there's only one that stands out, and most of you already know that it's SOUSUKE ****ING AIZEN.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a complete sucker for intelligent, charismatic villains when they're written well. Thing is, such characters can be very difficult to pull off without venturing into God Mode Sue territory. To pull them off, they at least need a weakness that can be exploited, whether by the heroes or by believable circumstance- basically, anything that doesn't require a blatant Deus Ex Machina.

Aizen has no such weakness. From the moment he revealed himself as the main villain, he pulled far too many bullshit powers and gambit roulettes than any sane person could count. For a taste of how overpowered and omniscient he is within the context of his story, here are some fancomics of him made back when the crux of his arc only recently came to fruition in the manga:

And in case you needed evidence from the actual manga, let me summarize: everything that happens in Bleach was part of Aizen's vaguely defined plan. And even after being given a sudden case of the stupids once the crux of his "plan" was revealed, it still took several Deus Ex Machinas just to put him in a timeout chair, which he still managed to escape from near the end of the manga.

And what's even worse than his bullshit powers and omniscience is that he has virtually no personality beyond his bullshit powers and omniscience. Take those two traits away from him, and you have a bland-ass character that's easily as forgettable as, say, The Silence from Doctor Who. (Yes, I know, bad joke is bad. I regret nothing.)
                        "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
                        Alex Decay

Comment

Aizen has nothing on Yhwach.

Comment

Was he a main character? I wouldn't have guessed from the promotional art for the show. He's barely there at all.
                            The show starts with a scene featuring him (a capital ship battle, as I recall), and it follows his progression from Rifleman to the Flight Deck Mechanical Crew, and back to being a Rifleman (with his girl by his side), and he's featured in the end denouement.

He's actually IN some of the promo art, too! I have no idea why.

Comment

Aizen has nothing on Yhwach.
                              I didn't count Quincy Hitler because he's not in the anime. But yes, he was so bland and overpowered, it made me miss Aizen. And introducing an even blander villain is not how you make your audience like your previous bland villain.
                              "I'm actually great at debating, as I've been informally trained by 4chan and Something Awful"
                              Alex Decay

Comment

Working...
                              X