"Fantasy Animé, turn that game off and go play outside!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fantasy Animé, turn that game off and go play outside!"

I can appreciate that Log Horizon, That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime, and The Rising of the Shield Hero are about system mastery, that Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is about emotional development and loss, and that Sword Art Online and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? are about...something, but I’d like to watch more fantasy-world stories that aren’t just about an otaku from Earth grinding in a video game. And though most Shōnen Jump shows seem to be fantasy worlds, they're also fairly formulaic.

I'm looking for something more like Made in Abyss, Vision of Escaflowne, or Record of Lodoss War.

I'm aware of Goblin Slayer and Hakumei and Mikochi, but are there any more recent fantasy world stories that aren't so artificially game-like? Or any thoughts on the genre?
    Last edited by Dreamstryder; January 30th, 2019, 12:59 AM.

There's Fushigi Yugi if you want a different kind of Isekai anime.
    "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive." -Thomas Sowell

Comment

Originally posted by old hat View Post
      There's Fushigi Yugi if you want a different kind of Isekai anime.
      I will second Fushigi Yuugi I highly recommend this series!
      Yona of the Dawn is also really good; however there needs to be a second season badly.

"Don't talk to me. Don't open your eyes and don't breath"
      "I can't do that! At least let me breath"
      - Stella Vermillion to Ikki Kurogane - Chivalry of a Failed Knight

"I want us to be a family" - Ikki to Stella

"I swore an oath to stand with Noct and keep him safe...whatever it takes, I will protect him!" - Ignis Sukientia FFXV

Comment

Yeah, fantasy has pretty much become synonymous with isekai lately. The most recent exception I can think of (besides Goblin Slayer, which still hints that the characters are players in someone else's game, ie the talk of the gods determining their fate with the role of a die) is Legend of the Legendary Heroes. Another older one I don't hear mentioned too much is Broken Blade, which I enjoyed.
        Current Avatar: King Kai from Dragonball Z

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ohayotaku

Comment

KONOSUBA.

It's a hilarious pisstake on this kind of anime's tropes.
          Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
          In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohiotaku View Post
            Legend of the Legendary Heroes. Another older one I don't hear mentioned too much is Broken Blade, which I enjoyed.
            These two series needed more to them as well LotLH left it so open-ended it was not even funny.

"I swore an oath to stand with Noct and keep him safe...whatever it takes, I will protect him!" - Ignis Sukientia FFXV

Comment

Originally posted by mina6000

I'm impressed it took us this long to get a "ssjgoku"

Anyway, there are literally hundreds of blonde characters in anime
              ssjgoku?? Blond Characters? I think you are in the wrong thread.
              Last edited by Sora N; February 16th, 2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X