Maquia, When The Flower Blooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maquia, When The Flower Blooms

I didn't see this so I decided to start this topic.
    I've seen probably about half the anime feature films released through Fathom Events and other distributors in the past two years.
    There IS stuff I skip like Dragonball and Sailor Moon... I have no interest in DBZ and I already own the SM movies for the last DVD releases by Pioneer. Yep, I still have my Pioneer DVDs with the original dubs and am upgrading with the Blu ray as they get released!

Anyhow, just saaw Maquia this past weekend. I have Anohana on Blu ray (the dubbed TV series edition) but have yet to see it. I sort of knew Okada by reputation but was unprepared for the movie still!

I'm not gonna away plot details other than this -- consider the ramfications of being near-immortal and falling in love with or caring for a normal human being.
    Okada did, and Maquia is EASILY the second or third saddest anime feature I've seen. Grave of the Fireflies still tops my list of tear-jerkers.

There are films I'll only see once in my lifetime because they were psychologically difficult to sit through. Watching someone fall apart mentally unscreen or see ultra-violent crime committed is pretty difficult for many people. There were two films I've seen (in addition to Overfiend which just disgusts me) that I won't see again.
    Maquia is another debatable film. It was beautifully drawn and had some psychological twists including a near-Oedipal fixation but it ultimately went another way.
    And that is all I will say! You'll have to see the film yourself...

I just ordered this movie (have not received it yet though since my order just shipped)however, I decided to revive this thread since the movie was just released on Blu-Ray/DVD. From the previews I have seen it looks really sad and I know I am going to have to be in a certain mood to even watch it; however, the animation looks beautiful. I have a feeling I will feel the same way with A Silent Voice as well.
    "What? Run away to somewhere both the vampires and the Demon Army won’t ever find us? Man, that brings back memories. Back then we were both desperate to run away from our world of vampires and slavery. So we escaped… Hoping and praying to find some paradise where we could live in peace… But all we found was this. We can’t run, Mika. There’s nowhere to run to. No matter where we go, all we’ll find is more humans and vampires.” – Yuichiro Hyakuya

"I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They’ve used people like us for years, Yuu. Used us in their experiments. I’m sure that Guren person didn’t save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We’re part of the Seraph of the End Project.” – Mikaela Hyakuya

Avatar - Mika and Yuu from Seraph of the End

Comment

I bought this two weeks ago and I"m the same way. I gotta be in the mood to watch sad stuff.

However, Mari Okada's awesome.
      I love lamp.

Comment

^ A spambot that copies another person's post and swaps in a few synonyms... 3/10 on the scale of insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
          ^ A spambot that copies another person's post and swaps in a few synonyms... 3/10 on the scale of insanity.
          That was kinda cool. Yep, they're definitely getting smarter.
          He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

Comment

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
            I bought this two weeks ago and I"m the same way. I gotta be in the mood to watch sad stuff.

However, Mari Okada's awesome.
            Just got my copy the other day. It looks really good. Is Mari Okada a movie?
            "What? Run away to somewhere both the vampires and the Demon Army won’t ever find us? Man, that brings back memories. Back then we were both desperate to run away from our world of vampires and slavery. So we escaped… Hoping and praying to find some paradise where we could live in peace… But all we found was this. We can’t run, Mika. There’s nowhere to run to. No matter where we go, all we’ll find is more humans and vampires.” – Yuichiro Hyakuya

"I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They’ve used people like us for years, Yuu. Used us in their experiments. I’m sure that Guren person didn’t save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We’re part of the Seraph of the End Project.” – Mikaela Hyakuya

Comment

Originally posted by Sora N View Post

Just got my copy the other day. It looks really good. Is Mari Okada a movie?
              No Mari Okada's the director/screenwriter. Here's her bio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Okada
              I love lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post

No Mari Okada's the director/screenwriter. Here's her bio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Okada
                Oh wow! I feel so stupid now Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

It's a great movie, I really loved it a lot. And pretty sure I recommended it here before, but nobody was interested then.

To whoever watches it ...you will love it and the music is awesome.
                  She didn't want to be beautiful

She only wanted to create beautiful things

Taleen and Nutmeg: We are the Talmeg. 2017 Best AN couple

Comment

stumbled on a review of this and grabbed from the library was pleasantly surprised the wife and I really enjoyed it

Comment

Working...
                    X