Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akira

***SPOILERS***

anime fans; like or comment if you've seen Akira and had nightmares about the transformation scene. 's the thing that makes me not want to watch the movie again, it freaked me out so much the first time. The only way I can think to describe it is; it's like watching a man turn into an all-encompassing mushroom cloud without an actual explosion (which, considering it's Japanese animation, is a chilling thought. Nuff said.)

...I fell asleep when I watched it years ago.
    Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
    In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

When I originally saw AKIRA, it was on The Sci Fi Channel in 1994. Then, 1 year later, I bought it on VHS in Arlington Heights, IL at the Yaohan Market (it was later renamed Mitsuwa).

That was back when my 7th grade Japanese teacher took us on a class field trip. Good times.
      Visit my website It's Not All Gumdrops And Unicorns
      Are There Really Social Media Sites For Anime Fans?

Comment

I was already well established in anime for over a decade before I saw Akira for the first (and only time). While I can respect that it may have been revolutionary at the time it debuted or as a first exposure, by the time I got around to it I had already seen the various aspects imitated (and parodied) so many times, it really didn't have any impact. Plus, it's not really my style. The great thing about anime is it encompasses so many diverse genres that it really can't be defined by just one, no matter what anyone says.
        Current Avatar: Miss Beelzebub

Comment

Originally posted by Ohiotaku View Post
          The great thing about anime is it encompasses so many diverse genres that it really can't be defined by just one, no matter what anyone says.
          Spot on! Robotech was my so-called "Gateway To Anime" as a toddler, during the mid-80's, not the Toonami block. Most people don't know much about Anime.

Because of Action Anime such as the Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and the Naruto franchises, they assume Anime is mostly Action Cartoons for little boys. They have no idea how broad Anime is for fans of different genres, sub-genres, genders, age groups, and sexual orientations.

Comment

^
            Case in point I'm currently watching:
            A supernatural reverse-harem (Phantom in the Twilight)
            A superhero inspired action shonen (My Hero Academia)
            A scifi mystery dealing with time travel & AI (Steins Gate 0)
            2 girls playing sports series: 1 serious, 1 more lighthearted (Hanebado & Harakuna Receive)
            A historic war drama (Angolmois)
            A cartoonish supernatual comedy that still makes insightful commentary on human nature & modern society, with some legitimate horror for good measure (Gegege Kitaro)
            What has the possibility to be a cute romantic comedy, but with ecchi & supernatural hijnks (Yuuna & the Haunted Hot Springs)
            sorry for derailing, btw It's just a lot of people hold up a particular series or movie (Akira or Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon in particular) as a definition of what anime is all about, when there is so much more to it (even though those series have undeniably left a legacy)
            Last edited by Ohiotaku; July 16th, 2018, 07:42 PM.
            Current Avatar: Miss Beelzebub

Comment

I would say that it's quite tame compared to some of the stuff in the Berserk manga.
              Avatar - Nyaralthotep in its cute anime girl form

"A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers.." FA Hayek

Comment

There are two dubs of Akira, the old Streamline dub and the 2001 redub. I've only seen the 2001 redub of Akira, which has Johnny Yong Bosch as Kaneda and Joshua Seth as Tetsuo. As for the film itself it has such painstaking attention to detail.

Comment

I have the original dub, which was from 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaLovesAnime View Post
                    I have the original dub, which was from 1987.
                    Akira was made in 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by SwatKat90 View Post
                      Akira was made in 1988.
                      Was it? I could've sworn my box said '87, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Spot on! Robotech was my so-called "Gateway To Anime" as a toddler, during the mid-80's, not the Toonami block. Most people don't know much about Anime.

Because of Action Anime such as the Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and the Naruto franchises, they assume Anime is mostly Action Cartoons for little boys. They have no idea how broad Anime is for fans of different genres, sub-genres, genders, age groups, and sexual orientations.
                        I think people assume that though because that's what gets on tv. Or they assume it's quirky movies for kids like Studio Ghibli.
                        Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
                        In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
                          I think people assume that though because that's what gets on tv. Or they assume it's quirky movies for kids like Studio Ghibli.
                          Exactly! Honestly, I find most of Miyazaki's films to be overrated. Yes, the illustrations and landscaping are phenomenal, but he's not the only creator in existence.

His movies get top billing because he has A-List Hollywood celebutards voicing his characters in English. Meanwhile, most voice actors don't make a lot of money unless they're voicing video game characters.

Comment

Exactly! Honestly, I find most of Miyazaki's films to be overrated. Yes, the illustrations and landscaping are phenomenal, but he's not the only creator in existence.

His movies get top billing because he has A-List Hollywood celebutards voicing his characters in English. Meanwhile, most voice actors don't make a lot of money unless they're voicing video game characters.

It seems I'm not the only one here who knows that anime dubbing salaries are paltry compared to video game voice acting and Western animation voice acting.

Comment

Originally posted by SwatKat90 View Post
                              It seems I'm not the only one here who knows that anime dubbing salaries are paltry compared to video game voice acting and Western animation voice acting.
                              They talked about it at least a few times at panels.

Comment

Working...
                              X