My Articles on a Potential AnimeGate Ruffled a Few Feathers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Articles on a Potential AnimeGate Ruffled a Few Feathers

Those of you who remember will know that I have a website now. Well I posted a series of 5 articles on them:

Normalization of Anime

Upcoming Fan Bashing

Social and Political Angle

Corporate Angle

Censorship

Its a "Worse case scenario" series on what could happen based on precedents in other industries where politics got involved. Still, since then a ****storm happened I never anticipated:
    1: My article was picked up by One Angry Gamer and gained a lot of attention very quickly (My traffic increased 20x).
    2: Threads across the internet (Including Reddit and My Anime List) were made and people apparently went at each other's throats on Twitter.
    3: UK Anime.net ran a podcast talking about my articles (And favorably too).
    4: UK Anime.net deleted the podcast, staff resigned and a former contributor is now trying to open his own website. Anime Feminist also got involved on Twitter.
    Link 1 & Link 2

All of this because I posted a couple of articles ​People need to get a grip and stop being offended drama queens.
    "Not conspiracies, conspiracy! Singular. Reaching back to ancient Egypt there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success."

New anime website: Sakura Anime News

My, my! I would agree you had ruffles feathers with your articles. Why that happened I have no idea. People are way too thin skinned these days.
    "Who’s that knocking at my door? Gotta be a quarter to four,
    is it you again, coming back for more?"
    ---from Hot Legs by Rod Stewart
    Anime watched in 2018: 200 episodes (68 shows: 50 watching, 18 completed, 0 dropped)

Comment

^ Have you read his articles? I read some of them and it seems to be warning about the dangers of anime becoming mainstream or something, including greater censorship and marginalization of existing anime fans. I can see how that can generate some controversy, especially in the current age of mob behavior and groupthink on social media.

I'm not sure about the situation in the U.S., but in the U.K. anime has and - for the foreseeable future at least - will continue to have as much cred as Bollywood movies or Benny Hill.

Also, some censorship would be good if it gets rid of some of the crazier flavors of hentai, which I need not mention explicitly.

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
        ^ Have you read his articles? I read some of them and it seems to be warning about the dangers of anime becoming mainstream or something...
        I make a distinction between anime being more popular (Increased viewership and fanbase), which is a good thing, and anime being mainstream (Increased attention by media establishment) which is a bad thing imo. It may seem like the two would go together but surprisingly they don't always do.
        "Not conspiracies, conspiracy! Singular. Reaching back to ancient Egypt there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success."

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
          ^ Have you read his articles? I read some of them and it seems to be warning about the dangers of anime becoming mainstream or something, including greater censorship and marginalization of existing anime fans. I can see how that can generate some controversy, especially in the current age of mob behavior and groupthink on social media.

I'm not sure about the situation in the U.S., but in the U.K. anime has and - for the foreseeable future at least - will continue to have as much cred as Bollywood movies or Benny Hill.

Also, some censorship would be good if it gets rid of some of the crazier flavors of hentai, which I need not mention explicitly.

It's probably the same here in the US. Though it's a bit more mainstream nowadays.

ETA: Animegate, Arch? I actually never heard of it.
          Last edited by goddessofanime; May 16th, 2018, 09:25 PM.
          Master Nutmeg guide us. Master Nutmeg protect us. Master Nutmeg teach us.
          In your light we thrive. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve you. Our lives are yours.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessofanime View Post
            ETA: Animegate, Arch? I actually never heard of it.
            It's not a thing yet. The point of my articles is help warn against what is an increasing politicization of the medium so it doesn't happen. Other outlets, like One Angry Gamer, have also made similar warnings.

Comment

For those who are interested, I made an article that details all the events that surrounded the recent UK Anime Network controversy. I also got statements from those involved.

Sakura Anime News - The article

Comment

>4: UK Anime.net deleted the podcast, staff resigned and a former contributor is now trying to open his own website. Anime Feminist also got involved on Twitter.
                Link 1 & Link 2

lmao what the heck, arch what have you been up to

Comment

I've been very bad

Without joking though, I never thought it would cause that much of a stir and I'm happy the guys at UK Anime Network are doing fine now.

It's amazing how bat**** insane certain people will get if you don't support their cause. Still, this is nothing compared to what's happening with video games and comics nowadays.

Comment

Hmm, well ehatever caused it I'm glad your site seems to be doing well traffic wise

You should link to AN so we get some of your traffic here

Comment

Working...
                    X