This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything you ever wanted to know about fansubs, but were afraid to ask

This here will be a sort of archive of online sites that provide an in-depth explination of the history of fansubbing, as well as how they are made. Here's the first link, written by an MIT graduate:

http://web.mit.edu/seantek/www/paper...ss-columns.pdf

^ 39 page analysis of fansubing and American anime fandom. does not cover the current trend in digi-subs

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~animage...p?page=konshuu

^ The Berkly UC anime club website. Lots and lots of intresting articles.
    Last edited by Hayamaneko; November 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM.
    random fun~
    fun trailer//effective advertising//currently pining after:

!!!!

Heh, I'd rather the mods here sticky a thread about "Everything you wanted to know about getting Fansubs but are afraid to look"

But interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Ive stickied this thread, if people can expand with useful links on the history legalities etc. of fansubing, I think it will be useful forreferance and for saving on the repeated threads.
      1986-2009

Comment

Well, I'm surprised. Finally a sticky for new people. If allowed, I would like to provide some links concerning a bit about fansubs.

Official BitTorrent website: http://bittorrent.com/index.html

And using that client [or others that you know], You may get unlicensed fansubs at this site: http://www.animesuki.com/

Don't know what BitTorrent is? This, I believe is a very informative, extensive information index of various BitTorrent issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent

Remember, don't download licensed products, movies, hacked software, or whatever is licensed in your particular country. Lately Fines have been imposed on whoever attempts to download the like, and if you do not wish to pay Fines of up to $150,000 , then be a good person and make BitTorrent for what I believe, what it was originally intended to be.
        My personal blog
        My SFW blog
        My blog of ecchi
        I now reside at the Animesuki forums.
        Former fansub Translator

Comment

I have 2 questions.

1. If you have multiple downloads going, does it slow them all down?

2. I can't get High-Speed at my house, But my aunt has it, I can only make it to her house 1 time a week. Could I start like 10 series, come back in a week and have them all downloaded?
          () STONE()() FREE...()() TO......()()DO......()()WHAT..()() I.........()() PLEASE()

Comment

Originally posted by Yugi
            I have 2 questions.

1. If you have multiple downloads going, does it slow them all down?

2. I can't get High-Speed at my house, But my aunt has it, I can only make it to her house 1 time a week. Could I start like 10 series, come back in a week and have them all downloaded?
            1. Yes. The key is (usually) your upload speed. If your upload is 100% of its capacity (with - say, a 20 kb/s max, you're uploading 20 kb/s) watch your d/l speed drop to somewhere close to 0.

I cap my total u/l speed at around 16 kb/s and my download speed is still something like 100 kb/sec.

2. Ten complete series!?! Um...I don't know about that...
            Ten episodes, on my ADSL connection, yes.
            Rest in peace, Eddie Guerrero.
            1967-2005

Comment

Originally posted by raikage
              1. Yes. The key is (usually) your upload speed. If your upload is 100% of its capacity (with - say, a 20 kb/s max, you're uploading 20 kb/s) watch your d/l speed drop to somewhere close to 0.

I cap my total u/l speed at around 16 kb/s and my download speed is still something like 100 kb/sec.

2. Ten complete series!?! Um...I don't know about that...
              Ten episodes, on my ADSL connection, yes.
              1. Thanks, is there anyway to qeu them start when one ends.

2. Only ten? Or could I get more?

3. And just for fun, what if i had a T3 connection, how fast could i dl them?
              () STONE()() FREE...()() TO......()()DO......()()WHAT..()() I.........()() PLEASE()

Comment

For any of those with legality queries into the matter: http://fansub-faq.darkmirage.com/

Comment

Is it illegal to download just some chapters of any series or manga?
                  Last edited by kalisaris; December 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yugi
                    1. Thanks, is there anyway to qeu them start when one ends.

2. Only ten? Or could I get more?

3. And just for fun, what if i had a T3 connection, how fast could i dl them?
                    1. (Assuming you have BitTorrent) Yes. It depends on yor client (use Azureus or TorrentStorm). I don't use Direct Connect, Bearshare, or anything besides BT these days.

2. Hell if I know how many eps you can get in a ten-day period. How many will you realistically watch, anyway?

3. Probably ridiculously fast (if they're well-seeded). Planning on upgrading soon?
                    1967-2005

Comment

1. (Assuming you have BitTorrent) Yes. It depends on yor client (use Azureus or TorrentStorm). I don't use Direct Connect, Bearshare, or anything besides BT these days.

2. Hell if I know how many eps you can get in a ten-day period. How many will you realistically watch, anyway?

3. Probably ridiculously fast (if they're well-seeded). Planning on upgrading soon?
                      Note on #3, T3 is very expensive, and is usually at schools and such. I have a t3 at school, and they filter bottorrents (they still work but not as fast) and remember it takes time for them to get runnign fast.

Comment

I was just wondering, how do I cap my upload speed?

I'm only getting like 50 or 60 k/s at tops and I want like 100 k/s or so.

Comment

Originally posted by KamuiX1999
                          I was just wondering, how do I cap my upload speed?

I'm only getting like 50 or 60 k/s at tops and I want like 100 k/s or so.
                          Use Azureus or TorrentStorm. Shadow's client can also cap u/l speed.

Originally posted by kalisaris
                          Is it illegal to download just some chapters of any series or manga?
                          Probably yes. Under the legal concept of fair use, you MAY be able to claim 'educational value' but I wouldn't expect it to hold up that well.
                          1967-2005

Comment

Probably yes. Under the legal concept of fair use, you MAY be able to claim 'educational value' but I wouldn't expect it to hold up that well.
                            I'll clarify it, then. No. It's not legal. The images contained are still the property of the mangaka and publisher, and due to international copyright laws, it is, as defined by the law, illegal. 'Educational value' will not hold up.

And as a general note for all BT users in general, the Japanese companies are also taking action. Some sites are compliant with the cease-and-desist orders, others aren't. This is only a guess, but I would not be surprised if some Japanese company decided to license a series for less than they want, and add in the clause to go after sites offering links to download it in exchange. BT has grown too fast for its own good, and it's also allowed for more unethical things to run rampant. The old VHS days had nobody caring because of the limits of distribution. But now, licenses mean nothing to too many people, and it's going to ruin it for everyone, "ethical" or not. I fully expect that in about another year, it'll be pushed back to harder-to-find methods, like private IRC channels.
                            -dunno001
                            -Happiness is but a fleeting thing... it fleets with one you loved...

Comment

I have a question about fansubs too:

Is it legal to burn a fansub to a recording DVD? I know it's illegal to buy them, but if you create on for yourself, is that OK?

Another one,
                              what's the fast helper? I've been using Azures, but I was wondering if there's one faster.
                              Last edited by Apocrypha; December 26th, 2004, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X