Only Yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Yesterday

Since I don't see any posts about it yet, it looks like this is finally getting an English dub. Hoping it leads to a physical release. It's one of the few Ghibli films I've yet to see.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...265#post324265
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...ish-dub/.91329
    Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2017
    My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Looking forward to that, its one of the few Ghibli films I haven't seen yet.

Comment

This is my least favourite Ghibli film.
      "We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."
      Blog! | 360voice blog! | Gaming network tags | Current Avatar | PSN Profile
      Seiyuu database! <-- not just anime roles, lots more videogame data than ANN

Comment

This was my favorite slice-of-life Ghibli title, and 4th favorite overall, until When Marnie was There came out a few months ago - now Marnie took that spot and moved Only Yesterday down a spot, to #5... I will admit that Only Yesterday is 2 1/2 hours long and extremely slow-paced, but irregardless, the story to me is just so satisfying.

Comment

FWIW, GKids is the one releasing it. They're doing a theatrical run next year.

GKIDS Acquires 1991 Isao Takahata Anime Classic "Only Yesterday" - Plans 2016 Theatrical Release

GKIDS has announced that it has entered a distribution agreement with Studio Ghibli for the North American rights to Only Yesterday, from studio co-founder and Academy Award nominee Isao Takahata (The Tale of The Princess Kaguya). Long considered an unseen masterpiece by critics and fans, the film has never before been released in North America. GKIDS plans a theatrical release in early 2016, coinciding with the film’s 25th anniversary.

The deal was negotiated by Eric Beckman from GKIDS and Geoffrey Wexler from Studio Ghibli, with GKIDS taking all theatrical, non-theatrical, home video and television rights in North America. An English-language version is being produced by Studio Ghibli with cast to include Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), Ashley Eckstein (HerUniverse, Star Wars Rebels) and Alison Fernandez (Orange is the New Black).

“With this 25th anniversary release, a broad new audience will now be able to discover what passionate supporters have known for years,” said David Jesteadt, GKIDS’ SVP of Distribution. “Only Yesterday is a groundbreaking classic, and further demonstration of Isao Takahata’s incredible legacy as a filmmaker.”

Comment

It means we'll finally get a DVD and Blu Ray verisions in the U.S. too, and it's about time. I adore the film, although it is not for anime fans looking for the next DragonBall Z feature.

Comment

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad to be seeing this! Now I wont have to import the JP sub-only Blu-ray! I am more than willing to wait for a stateside release. I hope it'll be just as good a slice-of-life movie as Up On Poppy Hill was!

Here's hoping they do the same with Ocean Waves - I'd hate to have to only import one Studio Ghibli blu-ray. It wouldn't look as good with my collection of stateside SG dual-language combo packs.
              My Collections: Anime+ | Japanese Merch
              Avatar: Nitori Aiichirou - Free!

Comment

I'll be picking up the GKids US release of Only Yesterday when it comes out, but mainly only for completion's sake - I've owned Only Yesterday on JP Blu-ray for over 2 years now, it was the very first Studio Ghibli film I purchased in the JP Silhouette series. Ok, so actually, I purchased it along with six other JP Ghibli Silhouette titles all in the same $400 order, but it was the first one I put in my cart because it was THE top priority Ghibli title for me to get on Blu-ray - it being available at the time only in the JP Silhouette series was the whole reason I decided to import that entire series in the first place. Now I own all 24 Ghibli Silhouette releases...

I will likely never even break the seal on the US copy, though, because I've watched Only Yesterday so many times in the original language now that there is no way I'll ever be able to tolerate listening to an English dub for it. Same goes for When Marnie was There (and Ocean Waves if it ever gets a dub release here) - Now that I've seen Marnie more than a half dozen times subbed, just attempting to listen to the dub in the English trailer is enough to make me writhe in pain, lol... So those three Ghibli titles in particular I will forever need to watch in Japanese.

Comment

Original dub or English dub, either way I will keep an eye out for it.
                  It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

If a Ghibli film has a dub I'll be watching it. I was thinking about seeing that movie before this news but now I'd rather just wait.

I just learned that the main adult character is voiced by the new lead actor in Star Wars The Force Awakens:D The child version of the character is voiced by an actual child which is nice. I'm really looking forward to it.
                    Last edited by Levo; September 7th, 2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Levo View Post
                      If a Ghibli film has a dub I'll be watching it.
                      You mean an English dub? I don't mind the original Japanese with sub-titles -- provided the sub-titles are complete. It sometimes gives you a better idea of what the filmmakers had in mind.
                      It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MeMyself View Post
                        You mean an English dub? I don't mind the original Japanese with sub-titles -- provided the sub-titles are complete. It sometimes gives you a better idea of what the filmmakers had in mind.
                        When we say "sub" or "dub" it should be obvious what we are referring to unless you're new to anime

I don't mind original Japanese with English subtitles either, but I'd rather watch a dubbed English audio by Disney which I'm a fan of.

I don't mind sub either, but I'd rather watch a dub by Disney which I'm a fan of.

Comment

Originally posted by Levo View Post
                          When we say "sub" or "dub" it should be obvious what we are referring to unless you're new to anime
                          Not so obvious. Some people use dub to describe both the original Japanese and other languages. Technically, the term does apply to both. Am I supposed to know how you use it?
                          It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

Thats the thing, we aren't talking technically. We're talking about terms we anime fans use very often to either refer to the original Japanese audio with subtitles or dubbed English audio. Sub and Dub.

I rarely see some people say Japanese dub, it happens sometimes but I've only seen it from newbies who probably later learn thats not the norm.
                            When a VHS or DVD that just says "DUB" on it(like from AnimEigo) do you question if its the Japanese dub like you did to me? Its obvious to the fans what its referring to.

Dub:
                            When the voices in an anime are translated into another language.

Sub:
                            Origination from subtitle, when an anime is kept in its original language, but has subtitles.
                            Last edited by Levo; September 8th, 2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

FWIW, the official website now has a list of theaters where it's playing.

http://www.onlyyesterdayfilm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X