思い出のマーに When Marnie Was There

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 思い出のマーに When Marnie Was There

I took my family to go see this movie today in the theaters. I guarantee that you all will love this movie. I have no idea why it isn't selling well. There were only about 6 other people in the theater when we saw this movie this afternoon. It's sad. I don't know if the rest of Japan is desiring Ponyo 3 by now or something, because The Wind Rises deserved better attention than it got.

So you may have already read the premise of this movie. Anna is a girl who lives in Sapporo. She suffers from severe melancholy and it is affecting her health. She loathes herself. And as Robyn Hitchcock once sang, when you cannot love yourself, how can you expect to love others? Anna is adopted, and has had deep emotional issues. Her foster mother sends her off to stay with some relatives in the countryside, hoping that some fresh air will help her. There she meets Anna, who befriends her and helps her to smile.

Fantasy and reality seamlessly blend together in this movie, and the story is beautiful. Is Marnie a ghost? An imaginary friend? Or is Anna timeslipping like an episode of Quantum Leap? In the end, Anna learns to smile, but that's not a real spoiler. She learns to love and accept being loved. But the journey she takes to get there is the real secret to the movie. The ending had me in tears, and all I wanted to do was hug my daughter.

I really, really loved this movie. Unlike Wind Rises, I could understand about 95% of the movie without subtitles.
    The Anime Past Forum: dedicated to oldschool anime fans who remember the golden age of anime fandom before the boom era.

For those waiting on a domestic release of this movie, it looks like GKids picked it up.

Link
    Entertainment news source Deadline reported on Wednesday that GKids has acquired Studio Ghibli's When Marnie Was There (Omoide no Marnie) and will release an English language version this spring.

Geoffery Wexler (English dub producer on From Up On Poppy Hill) revealed in August that he is the English dub and subtitle producer from When Marnie Was There.

GKids handles North American theatrical and home video distribution for many other Studio Ghibli films, most recently The Tale of Princess Kaguya.
    Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2017
    My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

I thought Disney got everything from Ghibli.
      "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon. Cause that cartoon has got the boom Anime babes that make me think the wrong thing." Barenaked Ladies' One Week

Comment

Looks great for kids, but I ain't no kid anymore and can't really identify with that kind of mentality now.

Comment

I'll look for it.

How's the artwork and animation?

Looking it up on imdb.com, I see it is directed by the same guy who did The Secret World of Arrietty -- which I seemed to have liked more than most. He also worked on Ponyo, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and others.
          It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO79qkKDUNY

All I've seen of the movie so far is the trailer, but looks good to me.

Anyway, I imagine this "release" in the spring means a theatrical release and not home video. I'm gonna have to wait for the home video release, as I doubt it would play anywhere near me. In the meantime, I need to order their release of Princess Kaguya and that new wave of Ghibli BDs from Disney, as those are releasing next month.
            Upcoming Anime DVD/BD Releases: 2017
            My Website ~ DVDProfiler ~ FilmAF

Comment

Originally posted by tigeress02 View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO79qkKDUNY

All I've seen of the movie so far is the trailer, but looks good to me.

Anyway, I imagine this "release" in the spring means a theatrical release and not home video. I'm gonna have to wait for the home video release, as I doubt it would play anywhere near me. In the meantime, I need to order their release of Princess Kaguya and that new wave of Ghibli BDs from Disney, as those are releasing next month.
              Yup, it certainly has the Ghibli look. I saw Kaguya in a theater. I wrote about it on my blog. You should like it a lot.
              It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by radiator123 View Post
                Looks great for kids, but I ain't no kid anymore and can't really identify with that kind of mentality now.
                I really feel sorry for you that you look at animation that way - I'm 54 years old, and absolutetly love Studio Ghibli films - more so than most Hollywood crap being put out nowadays. And, When Marnie Was There is now one of my top 4 Favorite Ghibli movies - it was a totally awesome story! I picked up the JP Blu-ray release two months ago, and I've watched it 5 times already!

Comment

It opened last Friday in my area -- along with about four other films I am eager to see. (I really have not been getting out to the movies as often as I should.) Unfortunately all these films opened the very time I left for a week's vacation. I am back now and have to schedule my time to catch as many of these as I can -- or else they go to the bottom of my lengthy Netflix list.
                  It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

I went to see Marnie today. Great film. For some reason, my eyes got wet. I wrote about it in my blog.

According to imdb.com, this is supposed to be Studio Ghibli's last film. Does anyone know anything about that?
                    It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

Well, Miyazaki and Takahata both retired last year. Miyazaki still visits the studio every day, and he has been working on some shorts and other small projects, but he will not be making any more feature length films. Yonebayashi (who did Marnie and Arietty) quit and left Studio Ghibli at the end of last year to do other projects on his own. Goro Miyazaki (Earthsea and Poppy Hill) is working on a computer animated TV series "Ronia the Robber's Daughter", but it is just a co-production between Ghibli and Polygon Pictures. Suzuki retired from Producer and is now the General Manager. The studio is basically on a hiatus now, with them only handling licensing and marketing aspects.

Suzuki says "I guess you could say Ghibli is still open, but not operating. We’re not really sure about what to produce next. Thinking about the state the world is in, it’s difficult to say what we should make.”

Currently there is nothing even in a planning stage for Ghibli, so it will be many years if at all until another Studio Ghibli feature film would ever be released.

Comment

^ An end to an era. :crybaby:
                        It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

When Marnie Was There was just nominated for an Oscar, its nice to see it getting some recognition. Although I'm pretty sure Inside Out will win.

Comment

Inside Out did win.
                            My Anime List Figures "It wont enix has been better then sqare since after snes we still remain sqaresoft just because of snes days." kulitsky33

Comment

OMG, I'm shocked...

Comment

Working...
                              X