From up on Poppy Hill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From up on Poppy Hill

Saw this last night. Goro's 2nd attempt at directing is an improvement over Earthsea, but is nothing to write home about. It's a nice slice of life romantic drama, but the whole incest/not incest angle was kind of lame. The animation is kind of lazy at points, and there is not the kind of background details you would expect in a Ghibli film. I guess they maybe were trying to make it seem like a painting. The supporting characters I think are what really make this film watchable. I especially liked the best friend of the Shin. Glasses dude was pretty cool and level headed.
    My Anime List Figures "It wont enix has been better then sqare since after snes we still remain sqaresoft just because of snes days." kulitsky33

From Up On Poppy Hill

Agree it wasn't a Ghibli classic, although Goro Miyazaki was clearly aiming for a Whisper of the Heart kind of vibe. My full thoughts can be found here if you're interested.
    http://www.electric-shadows.com/from-up-on-poppy-hill/

Comment

I read where Hayao Miyazaki was more involved with Goro's second attempt. I guess the father finally decided that he wasn't going let Goro waste any film re-learning what the master had done for many years all his life.

Comment

I actually thought the film was well done. I don't know how much the father was involved, other than writing the script. But it was a good story well animated. It may not be the best Studio Ghibli has ever put out, but it met my expectations.
        It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

I'm with Myself on this one - I thoroughly enjoyed Poppy Hill - As far as the slice-of-life Ghibli's go, Only Yesterday is my favorite and this one is my second-favorite. I actually like it better than Whisper of the Heart. I'm also a big fan of Ocean Waves - and I actually like all four of these more so than Spirited Away or Totoro or Ponyo...

Comment

I like From up on Poppy Hill...

I forgot that's Ghibli actually...

Comment

I watched it in Japanese first and was surprised that the English dub (heard during the storyboard extra) adds a narration in the beginning. I felt the world was sufficiently and unobtrusively introduced without a narrator stepping in and directing my attention to specific things and spelling out things that I would otherwise soak up experientially over the course of the film. It made the film feel too thematically focused, as they basically said, "this is the message of the film you haven't seen yet; watch for it!" as if they thought the audience couldn't watch a movie properly. Maybe others have differing opinions.

There were also 2 lines that changed for no reason, but I didn't watch the English all the way through.

There's an added line is Spirited Away that explains the dragon, and some added lines in Castle in the Sky for Dola's gang (some good, some unnecessary), but I didn't think this trend would continue like it did here.

Anyway, I like the movie, but not the English script tampering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstryder View Post
                I watched it in Japanese first and was surprised that the English dub (heard during the storyboard extra) adds a narration in the beginning. I felt the world was sufficiently and unobtrusively introduced without a narrator stepping in and directing my attention to specific things and spelling out things that I would otherwise soak up experientially over the course of the film. It made the film feel too thematically focused, as they basically said, "this is the message of the film you haven't seen yet; watch for it!" as if they thought the audience couldn't watch a movie properly. Maybe others have differing opinions.

There were also 2 lines that changed for no reason, but I didn't watch the English all the way through.

There's an added line is Spirited Away that explains the dragon, and some added lines in Castle in the Sky for Dola's gang (some good, some unnecessary), but I didn't think this trend would continue like it did here.

Anyway, I like the movie, but not the English script tampering.
                Remember that there are likely certain words in Japanese that cannot be translated into English, or may be translated a variety of ways. Either way, you are still at the mercy of the translator's interpretation. If you are watching the original dub with sub-titles, how do you know the sub-titles are accurate.

If an anime is complex enough, such as with Boogeypop Phantom, I watch both the Japanese with sub-titles and the English. Between the two, I can get the whole story.
                It's 2 AM somewhere.

Comment

Best Anime Movie Ever!

I have watch this movie! 2x
                  http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OYRpXRENfFs/TU...-sig-WZ619.jpg

Comment

I bought this on BD at Costco. I should probably watch it some time.

Comment

I saw this 2 days ago and it is now my 3rd favorite SG movie. I absolutely loved the story.
                      My Collections: Anime+ | Japanese Merch
                      Avatar: Nitori Aiichirou - Free!

Comment

Hey Zen, Thanks for dropping in to the SG forum here - I've been looking for someone to help revive this section a bit!

It's been a while since I watched Poppy Hill, I think I'll need to put it on the list to re-watch very soon. I think this story has a perfect ending, and I like just the way they end it, too - it leaves very much to the imagination. I know you said you would have liked to have seen more of the future shown in the movie, but if they did, then I think the ending would lose some of it's effect...

Comment

Working...
                        X