Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evangelion and Pacific Rim comparison

Hi all,

Looking at the (awesome) Pacific Rim trailer, I couldn't help noticing visual and plot similarities contained in this post: http://www.electric-shadows.com/?p=386

Would love to hear what you guys think!

Domo arigatou! Rob

I think this sort of the thing is the reason why people roll their eyes at Evangelion fandom. It's like they think that Evangelion invented the super robot genre and its tropes.
    Avatar - Monkey D Luffy, not impressed with that ****

Comment

It makes no sense. The movie is just like classic Super Robot anime like Getter Robo & Gaiking with giant monsters invading Earth and Giant Robo's fighting them. What does this have to do with Evangelion? The EVA's don't look anything like the robots in the movie and it doesn't star angst teens. The movie is just like the classic Super Robot anime. Del Toro was born in Mexico & grew up during a time when Super Robot anime were popular in Mexico.
      Last edited by Levo; May 5th, 2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SatoshiKonfan View Post
        Would love to hear what you guys think!
        The two pictures where you compared some seaborne monster from Pacific Rim to the whale Angel in Evangelion - quite frankly, they look nothing like each other.

The only similarities I'm seeing are that the two films have robots fighting monsters. But you also get that with Voltron. So why Evangelion? You've got to make a better case than that, I'm afraid.

Comment

I wonder which one is the obligatory hot blooded character.

Comment

Movie looks meh to me.

Comment

If you are going to make comparisons at least have something with similar aesthetics.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.” George Orwell.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. sickVisionz View Post
                Movie looks meh to me.
                It looks like it'll be in the same vein as Battleship.

So I'll love it

Comment

The monster does look rather like the monsters from the Planet Eaters faction.

It's like the Evangelion fans have never watched or paid any attention to anything but Evangelion. It's the only thing they have ever seen.

Comment

^Don't be too loose with the "Evangelion fans" generalizations. It only takes a couple of obsessed, under-the-rock peeps for threads like this to pop up. I love Eva as much as the next big fan, but hell... Anno didn't hide his inspirations or dress them too much (or at all in some cases). The tropes of genre remain intact.
                    THE PIPE IS MINE AND SO AM I

Comment

Indeed, I love Eva, but my first thoughts when seeing the trailer were Gunbuster and Getter Robo.
                      My Anime List | My Backloggery | My Top 15 Anime | My Top 15 Video Games | My Top 10 Manga | My Figures (Updated)
                      Gamertags: Sushikins (PSN/Steam/Wii U) | BuckeyeSushi (XBL) | 1590-4702-0875 (3DS)
                      Current Avatar:L'rydia Khiryu - FFXIV:ARR
                      Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
                      Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo

Comment

Plot in general reminded me of Godannar more than anything else. Two pilot mechs for each country defending against ,monsters that come from the sea.

Ending move (use our own reactor to blow up) was Gunbuster.

Eva not really. People that haven't seen a lot of mecha may think so, but the things in Pacific Rim people compare to Eva were done in anime before Eva.

I'm waiting for Director's Commentary because I really want to know what's a reference and what's just coincidence.
                        The REVIVED BLUE THUNDER of the ANIMENATION Forums
                        Gattai, Dragon Mission! Gouryuujin!
                        Super Moderator 2003 - 2008.
                        If you buy bootlegs you're no anime fan.
                        Ask Sharp! | Livejournal | AMV's | Give Sharp a Hug | Ryune, Hand of A'dal | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp-kun View Post
                          Plot in general reminded me of Godannar more than anything else. Two pilot mechs for each country defending against ,monsters that come from the sea.

Ending move (use our own reactor to blow up) was Gunbuster.

Eva not really. People that haven't seen a lot of mecha may think so, but the things in Pacific Rim people compare to Eva were done in anime before Eva.

I'm waiting for Director's Commentary because I really want to know what's a reference and what's just coincidence.
                          He has never seen Eva but was a huge Mazinger, Getter Robo, and Brave Raideen fan growing up.
                          “Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.” George Orwell.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Who cares, ALL films take other material from other films. It's called being inspired or influenced by. This has been going on for years and decades since the 1920's.

George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, Akira Kurosawa, Franklin J. Schaffner and Clint Eastwood all have taken material or found inspiration in their films from other films/franchises.

And now Christopher Nolan's Interstellar film is majorly inspired by Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. So what if Guillermo del Toro made a closely similar film to Evangelion. I'm not losing sleep over it and neither should anyone else.

You want good films that stand out on their own check out stuff from David Lynch, Alfred Hitchcock, David Fincher and Danny Boyle.
                            Last edited by TrueSkin1; August 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueSkin1 View Post
                              Who cares, ALL films take other material from other films. It's called being inspired or influenced by. This has been going on for years and decades since the 1920's.

George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, Akira Kurosawa, Franklin J. Schaffner and Clint Eastwood all have taken material or found inspiration in their films from other films/franchises.

And now Christopher Nolan's Interstellar film is majorly inspired by Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. So what if Guillermo del Toro made a closely similar film to Evangelion. I'm not losing sleep over it and neither should anyone else.

You want good films that stand out on their own check out stuff from David Lynch, Alfred Hitchcock, David Fincher and Danny Boyle.
                              I don't think anyone is upset over this but I think this thread is more about the comparisons like the thread title says.

However you nailed it and I think it's silly this discussion is even being had. I've been hanging on other forums too though where Eva fans have been lashing out over Pacific Rim for whatever reason. I liked it and I know i'm not alone. Hideo Kojima was awed by it so much he spammed his twitter saying how awesome it was.

Honestly though lets not forget Eva fans have always been touchy and aggressive. You say something bad about it and they'll rip you to shreds and crucify you. David Lynch is awesome by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X